Sick Chicks

bugg1976

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
I have 8 chicks and some of them are looking rather poor. Not like skinny poor, just not well. Their feathers are very thin on their chests and bellys, and some have irritation in at least one eye. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to do to improve their overall health and what these two symptoms may indicate.

How old are the chicks? Do they have any other symptoms? Are there eyes swollen? Do you think the other chicks may be pecking them? If not Eye infections can be a sign of a respitory infection and must be treated with antibiotics.

Their about 6 weeks old and they get along very well. No pecking. One of them has swelling in one eye the others just look irritated. I bought them at a roadside yard sale so I don't know anything about their living conditions before I bought them. The only other thing I can think of is that I hatched a duckling and it has been living with the chicks. The duck is very heathy though, and I haven't seen it bully the chicks very much at all. Thanks for the feedback.

Watch for other symptoms like nasal drainage, crust in eyes, and any kind of wheezing or coughing. If you start seeing these symptoms you will need to get them on antibitics quickly. Respitory infections can be very bad in chicks. Do you have any pictures of their swollen and irritated eyes? For the time being you can give vitamins and electrolytes. You can also give them plain yogurt. They will love that and its very good for their digestive systems. You can get vitamins and electrolytes at any feed store. I personally use Poly-Vi-Sol (iron free.) Its made by enfamil and you can get it at CVS or Walgreens. I am sure Wal Mart has it as well. If not all of the chicks have the irriated eyes you may want to, if you can, seperate them for the time being. If you do decide to treat them, be sure to treat all of them.

Back
Top Bottom