Sick chicks??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MsLipGlossy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. MsLipGlossy

MsLipGlossy New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    The MITTEN!
    I bought 6 day old chicks from MyPetChicken. [​IMG]4 Silkies and 2 Easter Eggers. When my chicks arrived one of the Silkies would lay on it's side and back, wasn't drinking well and ending up dying the day after I received it. The other 5 chicks seemed perfectly fine. I thought maybe it just didn't do well shipping to me and chalked it up to that. The next day my daughter's favorite (EE) was laying dead in the brooder. This chick was the most friendly and seemed to be doing REALLY good! Dead! No indication of why. The next day I started to worry about another SIlkie, she seemed more sluggish than the others and was laying away from them all day. Vents are all clean. Last night that Silkie passed away as well. I am new to chickens, I thought I did my research well before I received the babies. HELP, please!!! Any ideas? Should I treat my last 3 with Corid, could this be Coccidiosis? No sign of any blood in their poops, eating well, drinking well and proper temp. I'm not really sure what I should do. I don't want to leave them and figure "they'll be ok" because the last 2 weren't. But I just don't know what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!![​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think your chicks were very stressed during shipping. This time of year they can get very hot during shipping and become dehydrated and stressed. Your other chicks may make it, but sometimes it can take up to a week for this stress to result in death. Get them some electrolyte/vitamin water and dip their beaks often to get them to drink. For this reason many people don't order chicks during the heat of summer or the very cold of winter. Shipping small numbers is especially dangerous during the cold season. You may want to get MyPetChicken to send more chicks when it cools down next month.

3. MsLipGlossy

MsLipGlossy New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    The MITTEN!
    I just left TSC, I'm on my way home to give them some electrolyte water. Thanks!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Electrolytes are a good idea. To give them more strength, you can also give them some sugar water. Yogurt, applesauce, and scrambled eggs are also good idea.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree; vitamins/electrolytes should help. Scrambled eggs, applesauce, and moistened chick feed will readily be eaten as well, and will help your chicks recover from shipping stress. However, I wouldn't give yogurt, as too much of a dairy product can cause diarrhea in chickens because they can't digest lactose properly. Sugar water is fine in moderation, though some people report that it gives their chicks pasty butt.

6. MsLipGlossy

MsLipGlossy New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    The MITTEN!
    Thankies everyone!! I gave them separate electrolyte water and made scrambled eggs!! I really hope these 3 will be okay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by