Sick chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melinda342, Feb 27, 2014.

1. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    What is killing my chicks? They've been getting sick one by one. Symptoms include they get weak but still can drink water, can't walk right, and neck gets tremors/spasms sometimes the body. As it progresses, they can't stand or drink water and die. These are 1-2 week chick. They die a day or 2 later after I notice symptoms.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are these chicks that were shipped from a hatchery, or ones that you hatched at home? Have you tried giving them electrolytes in their water? Here is a homemade electrolyte recipe from TheChickenChick.com that you can make in smaller quantities (skip the salt substitute/potassium if you don't have it in an emergency):

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION

1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water​

3. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I got some from a local feedstore. Those three are doing fine. Same day my sister got 6 from tractor supply. 2 of those died and 2 more were dying when we returned them. I got 4 from the same feedstore and 2 of those died and 1 is showing symptoms. They've all been getting electrolytes from day 1.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have them under heat?

5. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    Yes

6. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    My buff orpington is the only one showing symptoms right now. It's doesn't look too weak but she can't walk, but she's trying to move around but winds up scooting/flopping backwards or in circles. She can't move her head upwards, but can from side to side. I'm not sure if it's voluntarily though or if it's an involuntary tremor or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by