Sick Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickCollector, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ChickCollector

ChickCollector In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    My wife and I have bought new chicks to increase our flock and prepare them to lay egg by next spring. I treat them with Cordi and or medicated chick starter. We keep their brooder clean and constantly clean and replace the water and feeder 2 to 3 times daily. Some chicks are pooping blood which I know is not good. One person and the co-op told me to make a oatmeal|corn meal| bran| and powdered milk remedy to help their digestive track. Does anyone have any other advise.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry you hare having so much trouble. You are not supposed to use medicated starter with Corid. So for now, you will want to use Sulfadimethoxine to cure this cocci. There are 7 strains of coccidiosis, and generally Corid takes care of most of them. But when the cocci is really severe, Sulfadimethoxine is recommended and should clear this up. You can get this online....http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/...r-solubles/sulfadimethoxine-liquid-16-oz.html

You can also post this in our emergency section for more help as well...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope you can get these babies back to good health soon. [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. The medicated chick starter with amprollium can help them develop immunity to coccidiosis, but if they are having blood in the stools, they need the Corid, which has a much higher concentration of amprollium. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid--1-1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days treatment. If they don't drink enough, then feed them with a dropper or syringe carefully allowing them to swallow after a few drops. Are any looking lethargic, not eating, puffed up or hunched, or having ruffled feathers? Here is a link to the emergency forum where your post may get more views and help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about all the hardships! Two Crows and Eggcessive have given you great advice and links.

5. ChickCollector

Jul 2, 2014
    Thanks I will try to get some at the co-op or order online.

6. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope your birds are doing better by now

8. ChickCollector

Jul 2, 2014
    They are thank you.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You were given some good advice and links by the other BYC members, and I'm glad that your birds are doing better. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: