1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imakat2, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Imakat2

Imakat2 New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Hi! LONG story made short. My Buffs are 4 months old, they free range. About a month ago I started losing one or two a week. I thought it was the heat, added more air and that was it. Then I started losing more. I now have 4 in sick bay. Symptoms are droopy eyes, no desire to eat, and I have to dip their heads in water to get them to drink. I have given the VETRX, dewormed ( again), sprayed for mites, added electrolytes to the water (Wazine 17) , got the same feed only new bag. I called numerous vets, and they said the only way to check is when the next girl passes.

My cow pasture is next to the coop and I have NEVER had a problem. I have added white chocolate to the cow feed, and the ONLY thing I can think of is that they must have gotten into the chocolate. I started out with 50 and not all of them have the symptoms, just a few, and they all free ranged. I am at my wits end and would appreciate any and all information, suggestions or hints! Thank you!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    Did you have a vet come and see the sick chicken? It could be cocci. I'd start giving them Corid just in case.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like coccidiosis to me....not eating or drinking, looking lethargic. Get them on some Corid or Amprolium as the drug ingredient. Follow the instructions on the bottle for dosage. It goes in the water for 5 days. Do not add anything to this water and do not feed any medicated feed during this time. Change the water and make a new batch daily.

Many times with cocci they can starve to death. So feed them what ever they will eat, even if that means not eating any chicken feed until you can get them well. Try chopped hard boiled eggs, berries, seeds of any kind, yogurt, just anything to keep them alive. Corid works fast and you should see improvement in 1 1/2 to 2 days.

Good luck and I hope you can save them in time.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I agree this sounds like cocci. Sorry that you've lost some chickens. I hope they start to get better soon.

7. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Hi! Welcome to BYC. Don't let your vet fool you; you don't have to wait for the next chicken to die. Take a sick chicken to him, and have him draw blood, then send it out to be tested for cocci, MS, MG, and whatever else could be suspected. My first three chickens (BR, EE, and a Silkie) got sick, although the Silkie is the only one who showed symptoms. My vet drew blood, and had it tested. Unfortunately all three had MG, and two also had MS. I had to have him euthanize them. If your vet can't run blood tests, or won't send samples out for testing, look for one who will.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Sorry for the loss of your chickens- you've received some good advice already on what to do next.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your chicks![​IMG]

You've received good advice above.

10. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    welcome,sorry about your losses,hoping the other's get well quick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by