Sick chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoxieRoo11, Oct 18, 2014.

1. RoxieRoo11

RoxieRoo11 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a mixed flock of breeds and ages ranging from 10 weeks to maybe a year old. Two weeks ago we put the 10 week old Black Copper Maran chicks (8 weeks at the time) into the big coop in their own cage to get acclimated with the rest of the flock. We let them out last weekend but still kept their cage so they could go back into it. We've been watching them and they all seemed to get along fine. This morning when I went out to fill up the water, I found one of them dead.

We cleaned the coop and the run and scraped the floors. This afternoon my husband noticed that one of my 19 week olds didn't seem right and looked like she had thrown up. She's a Delaware so we can see the brown running down her chest. He removed her from the rest and I brought her into the house in a crate with clean bedding and water. I don't know if chicks throw up if they eat something bad but not sure that she'll make it.

Our biggest concern is that the rest of the flock (18 total) are going to get sick. Help

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Were the new birds brought in from another flock and if so were they quarantined? How long have they been on your property?
    One of the new ones is dead or the older ones?
    Quarantining sick birds is a good plan.
    There are so many things that can afflict chickens (just like humans). With almost no symptoms, it's a shot in the dark.

3. RoxieRoo11

RoxieRoo11 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    Yes we got the new ones when they were a day old from another flock and we had them quarantined for 4 weeks

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by