1. AZChiknGoddess

AZChiknGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    I have a situation going on I cannot figure out. I bought some hatching eggs about a month ago. I put them in my clean and disinfected with bleach, incubator. About a week later I put some Silkie eggs from my birds in with them. First candling and many of the purchased eggs had bloodrings and many were clear. About a third were developing of 36 eggs. Day 14 candling I pulled 6 more quitters out. Around day 17 two of the developing eggs blew up and splattered everywhere. Only 4 of those eggs hatched. The Silkie eggs hatched out about 6 days later and those chicks have had nothing but problems. They hatched out ok. I put them in my clean sterilizer brooder I had just pulled a boisterous healty batch of chicks out of. These Silkie chicks have been pasty. Anorexic, sleepy, weak, and generally unwell. I put them on saveachick electrolyte and probiotics. No change. So I'm thinking coccidosis and put them on amprol for 5 days. They got worse. Some died. This whole time the chicks from the purchased eggs have been with them and they are fine. No problems. They are holding their own now but will only eat soaked chick feed. They are mostly dry butted but some get pasty off and on. One looked loose stooled today. One is still weak. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do for them. I have done: probiotics, saveachick, amprol, switched feed, given them alfalfa leaves, put native soil in their pen, removed the larger chicks, soaked their feed, clean their pen religiously...
    I'm thinking those eggs that exploded infected these chicks somehow. I just don't know what else to do to help them. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your problems probably were due to the exploding eggs, but when collecting hatching eggs , the parent stock should probably be getting vitamins/minerals and probiotics, along with high quality feed to get the healthiest eggs (not that you didn't do that.) Having the incubator going on for longer than 21 days may have caused more bacteria to build up. Some of the rarer breeds and bantams are just hard to hatch and thrive, also. Here are a couple of links about hatching problems that may help:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html#AB
    http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8127.pdf

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by