Sick chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jl9148927, Mar 5, 2015.

1. jl9148927

jl9148927 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    I went to my local Orschlens to get chicks but they didn't have the ones I wanted yet so they sent me to the nearest one that had it. They only had two but we took them home anyway. They were both doing great the first night, then the second night one of them got sick. It couldn't stand up or stay awake long and it was having little spasms that I were almost like seizures. I tried everything to save the chick, but with no luck. Once my local Orschlens got theirs in, I went and got 3 more. Again, they were all healthy for the first night, but today one of my chicks is starting to do the same thing. As this is my first time having chickens, I am at a loss of what is going on and what I should do about it. Please help!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - sorry you are having such a rough start to your chicken keeping adventures.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you are keeping the chicks once you get them home? What is the size of your brooder, what is the brooder made of, how are you heating it, what are you using for food/water/bedding, etc? Are you seeing the chicks eat, drink and eliminate?

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You are not using a teflon coated bulb are you?

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Are they in a brooder with heat? the temp needs to be proper and reduced as days go by. If not, then go to the learning center at top of page and read up. I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU.

AND [​IMG]

5. jl9148927

jl9148927 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    We are keeping them in our own home-made brooder. It is basically just like the ones at Orschlens. It is about 3 ft x 3 ft. The others are eating and drinking normally, as well as eliminating what looks to be normal chicken droppings (I haven't noticed any watery/discolored droppings). We are heating it with a heat lamp as well as keeping it close to the heater we have in the house. It is keeping it right around the right temp for the chicks this way. Being first time chicken owners, we just got a bag of the medicated chick feed thinking that was our best choice and we bought one of the plastic feeders from Orschlens, as well as the one for water.

6. jl9148927

jl9148927 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    No. We got the one Orschens recommended to us.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What is the temperature on the floor of the brooder directly under the bulb? What is the temperature on the floor of the brooder in the area away from the light? The temperature suggestions for chicks at various ages are merely guidelines - and a lot of folks start out thinking that the entire brooder needs to be at the top end of each range at each stage. If ou observe the chicks are they scattered around the brooder or clustered together in one area (either right under or as far away as possible from the light)? Are your feed and water stations located near the light or away from it?

8. jl9148927

jl9148927 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Directly under the bulb is 93, away is 91. For the most part they run all around the brooder. When I noticed the sick chick, they were all standing around it. I have the light towards the middle and the food on one side and water on the other.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It may actually be too warm in that brooder. It sounds like the brooder is too small to give them the temp variation that they need in order to self regulate. If I were you, I'd look at getting the temp down to 90 directly under the lamp, (and leave it at that temp for a few days, unless they act cold.) and give them a box big enough that the other side will get down to around 70. You might want to pick up or make some electrolyte mix for them, and get some poultry nutri-drench. It can be put directly in the water, and you can let an ailing chick sip a drop full strength. What ever you do, don't ever try to put liquids in it's mouth, just put the drop up to it's beak, and let the chick take it from there.

1 person likes this.
  10. jl9148927

jl9148927 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Thank you! I will definitely try to make those adjustments ASAP! I really appreciate the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by