Sick Chikens please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ashleyann, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ashleyann

Ashleyann Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    I got 6 chikens from a chiken farn and 3 died from being sick and now one has an eye infection its swelled shut and wont open for nothing. She also sounds like she cant breath and when you feel her chest it rattles. But what should i do to help her eye open she has been on Vetericyn for her eye but it dont seem to br working. Help!!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Hi there, sorry for the loss of your birds. :( I have heard others use tylan 50 for illnesses. I have not had to deal with this yet (i'm sure my time will come) so I am not that much of a help. I just hope someone else will get on here and help you better soon. Good luck with your birds. :)

3. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    Thank you. :)

4. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    Do you know what tylan 50 is or where i can get it

5. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i got mine at tractor suppy.

6. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine

Inner Ear infection
    dawg53 replied to this thread on January 12, 3:07 pm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcanoechic

OMG! I'm not sure I can do that. She is so sick. Poor thing. She has an appetite and wants to eat. She has one eye swollen shut and the other barely open. It is hard for her to see and eat her food. I have been giving her amoxicillin that the vet gave me. We are on day three. At one moment, she seems like she will pull through, then the next moment seems like she is not going to make it. It has been a rollar coaster ride with her this week. I will try to have a closer look at her ears tonight when I give her, her pill. Maybe I can figure out how to do this.
    The symptoms you originally described, and now with a swollen eye and the other one barely open leads me to believe you are dealing with a respiratory disease, the inner ear infection is most likely a secondary infection caused by whatever disease she's been exposed to. I recommend that you stop the amoxicillin after the 5th day and purchase tylan 50 injectable and dose her orally 1/2cc once a day for 5-7 days...no more than 7 days. Tylan is more geared toward poultry respiratory diseases.
    Tylan can be found in the cattle section at your feed store. Be sure you purchase a syringe with a needle to withdraw the tylan from the bottle. I dont recommend purchasing tylan soluable because normally sick birds wont drink it, nor drink enough of it to be effective.
    Keep her seperated from your other birds, remember and practice biosecurity. You dont want this spreading to your other birds.

This is a copy from another thread and this man is usually right on the money. You should check out this thread and also use his dosing instructions. Hope this helps.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I say Tylan as well

8. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    The thing with the eye is now on another chiken. It starts with a little bump and gets more infected.

9. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Pictures, if you can get them, please. It could be fowl pox, or any number of things. If we can see someone will be better able to help.

10. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by