1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sick Chook - need advice please - poop pic attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmdtk, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jmdtk

jmdtk Hatching

Mar 29, 2012
    Hello,

My lovely aracana chook is not well I think. So it started Tue when I went out to the run to refill the feeder she was still inside perching - very unlike her all the others were out foraging. She is normally quite flighty around me so I was suprised but wondered if she was warming up to lay her first egg (its late winter here but warm and the days are getting longer so its about time they layed!).

I checked on her a few hours later and she was def not happy - she was at the bottom of the garden under the tamarillo and fluffed up and head tucked in and was not moving much and seperated from the others. When I went to her she didn't really move till I was ontop of her (again not like her) I left her be and checked again in an hour - same thing but under a bush this time - so I caught her (no way should that be possible) and put her in the bath inside (I think it has magical powers it has brought a number of the neighbours chooks back to life :))

So we read up a few books and magazines and online here a bit and did a few things but held little hope. We gave her sugar water, cat food and watched. She perched up on the bath during the night and I caught her poop which looks bad - very watery small and had bits in it that I don't know what they are but I would describe them as strings of jelly red - they look like something you would find in there insides. Sorry for the poor decription I've hopefully posted a picture too at the bottom.

So she made it threw the night and the new morning Wed she was supper chatty and active bashing around the bathroom so I put her outside in our seperate run and kept up the sugar water and the cat food. She is acting mostly like normal at the moment - giving out to me for locking her up and moving around alot in the small run and head up scratching away eating normally but the poop is still looking really bad.

Today Thur I was going to put her back in the big run cause she is clearly fed up in the small run (I have now moved it next to the big run so they can keep each other company - seems better) she is now on her normal pellets and eating normally. The poop is still the same.

Any advice? Shall I leave her in her own run for a while to continue to assess her or do you think she can go back in with the others. Is there anything more I can do for her - any ideas what is wrong? Any help, tips or advice gladly taken!

Thanks very much
    Janet
    [​IMG]

2. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    looks like it could be early coccidiosis. hopefully not! you can get medicated feed to treat it if you catch it in time. hope all go's well:)

3. deserthomestead

deserthomestead Chirping

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandy Valley, NV
    could it be worms?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is not acting sick, I would put her back. Her poop does look like it could have a bit of blood in it, I would watch her closely, and pick up some Corid powder or liquid at the feed store just to have on hand. Medicated feed with not treat an outbreak--it is to help build up immunity gradually, but many people don't even use it. Usually appetite is poor with coccidiosis. Treatment with Corid will not harm them if you choose to start it, but everyone needs to be treated for 5-7 days.

5. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Probably not, it looks a lot different then worms.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I see alot of white urates, possibly an indication of dehydration. I also see shed intestinal lining, which is normal on occasion. There are no worms that I can see.

7. jmdtk

jmdtk Hatching

Mar 29, 2012
    Great Thanks to everyone.

I have kept her sperate for another another day and kept her on the pellets her poop is not completely normal again but thank you for the insite to it. She is still perked up and today we put her back in her run she seems good - scratching around with the flock.

I have to say that I am pretty relieved.

Thank you
    Janet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: