Sick chook!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrpe, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mrpe

mrpe New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    HI. I have a 2year old chicken (Sparkle) that's very sleepy but still making it around the run and in and out each night. Shes not making it up to the perch but instead choosing to sleep in a nest box. She picks at food and water but is not eating like the others do.

There is no blood in any stools and no other symptoms other than she crouches alot with ruffled feathers. Also seems to shut her eyes alot and sleep as such.

She normally does not let you pick her up but at the moment she doesn't even try to get away, which is very out of character.

Another chicken died 6 months back very quickly with similar symptoms but as she was a rescue chicken from a hatchery and had been in a very bad state i didn't think much of it.

Sparkle is not a rescue chook and was bought at point of lay from a breeder and had jabs an worming done already. Im stuck what to do with her to help at the mo so if anyone can give me some ideas that would be great.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It's possible that she is laying internally or suffering from egg yolk peritonitis, which can be common in hens her age and older. When was she last wormed, and what medicine was used? I would check her over for signs of lice and mites, especially around the vent. You probably should check inside her vent with a gloved finger inserted 1-2 inches to look for a stuck egg. Check her crop for impaction. If it's bee awhile since she was wormed, then I would recommend Valbazen (albendazole) or Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole.)

3. mrpe

mrpe New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks for the info. Is that whats called being Egg Bound?
    I would rather not have to stick fingers anywhere haha. Ive bought her in the house now and set up a corner for her. I got her drinking from a syringe and then she rook to her own water bowl. Not eating yet but one thing at a time. Ill get some worming stuff for her and the other 5 asap.

Dave

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes egg binding can be common, and it also can be deadly. Sometimes it can be due to being dehydrated or from not getting enough calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by