Sick chooks, Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyle142, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kyle142

kyle142 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    Originally I thought it was related to food being a bit finer with the chooks sneezing, that's not the case..
    They were sneezing for over a month, not chronic tho, every now and then. Lately it's gotten colder to about 10-15c some times of night which I believed has sparked the sickness

Symptoms:
    3rd day since the notice of wheezing

Wheezing mainly in morning, breathing through mouth more than nose with beak open slightly
    coughing
    nasal discharge
    shaking of head
    moist eyes
    less colour in wattles
    poos mostly normal, maybe a tiny bit runny.
    Other than that, Almost perfectly normal behaviour.

What I've done:
    The first time I heard the rooster wheezing I immediately ran down to the shops and gave got them OXYMAV B
    I give them the dosage every day, when they drink it all I give them fresh water with some garlic added as I've read it's good for the immune system and support

It seems to be working slightly.. The nasal discharge has stopped almost stopped completely, less sneezing and the beaks are not open.
    How ever there is still wheezing...

I've done as much research as I can, It seems to sound very much like this http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm
    However
    there is NO swelling in the face, and the eyes are not closing\\glueing together, No obvious loss in egg production, appetite or weight.

Should I keep on? with OXYMAV B? I'm on good terms with the local vet so I may be able to get some drugs over the counter (I live in Australia), Can someone diagnose this or suggest some treatment.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I just added new saw dust a few days ago.. I've also read that that may cause the wheezing?? so confused, please help!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    I'm uploading videos now to see if it may help..

1:
    guinea keets

skip to 0:50 to hear sounds

2:
    chickens

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    bump

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    It sounds like you may have a respiratory infection on your hands.

Respiratory Illness

See here for comprehensive information from the University of Florida regarding respiratory illness in poultry. This site from the American Poultry Association also provides information on respiratory illness in poultry.

Oxine – without activator! Use as disinfectant or in humidifier/fogger to treat respiratory illness. Use to clean coop surfaces after pest infestations such as mites and lice. Add to water to discourage slime growth. Can be used with activator to thoroughly disinfect EMPTY animal houses (do NOT use activated Oxine around animals). See this link for more.

Humidifier or fogger – for treating respiratory illness with Oxine.

Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) – broad spectrum antibiotics for use in chickens and other livestock. See the drug label information for dosage and usage information. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

Tylan 50 – labeled for cattle or swine – use to treat bacterial respiratory infections such as coryza or mycoplasma. Dosage is 1/2 – 1 cc per chicken. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

5. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    Thank you Anianna,

http://www.orgyn.com/resources/genrx/D001942.asp
    The family of "tetracycline antibiotics" that you recommended which is in oxymav B, great!

In regards to the use of Oxine, That is not avalible in Australia, is this the same thing? I'll ask them my self soon when they wake up.
    http://zydox.com.au/index.php
    The head office is only about 5-10 mins away!

I'll try to get some Tylan today, (5 am now.. I haven't been able to sleep!)

I'm worried that this is CRD... is it curable?

6. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Oxine AH is only a 2% Chlorine Dioxide and that is a 4% Chlorine Dioxide solution. I don't know if the higher percentage would make it unsuitable for use or not.

7. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    Thank you so much Anianna for your help, I'll call up the manufacturer and find out as soon as business hours open.

I'm worried that this is CRD... is it curable?

8. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    CRD is a catchall term for a variety of respiratory illnesses (it stands for chronic respiratory disease). Mycoplasma and Coryza are examples of CRD that can only be treated and cannot be entirely cured.

9. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    Thank you!

I ended up seeing a poultry vet and they've been pumped with antibiotics... they are in good health, We'll see what the future holds...
    It is indeed some form of respiration disease

10. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I have sick chickens hard for them to breathe. At least one has eyes closed. Some chesty coughs and some that have sneezed but stopped. I am using oxymav b. Is this the only water they get while locked up for 3days? Please help and advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by