1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick CHUKAR

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pHoEnIx_FiRe, Jun 23, 2011.

1. pHoEnIx_FiRe

pHoEnIx_FiRe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    i just bought a bunch of chukars and they were fine for about two days ago but now the feathers look ruffled and they are puffed out a lot they look lethargic other then hardly eat ... do they have to be off the ground ?? my pen is 10X12 and they are in with bobwhite quails ... the bobwhite are perfectly fine !! [​IMG] any leads ???

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would not put chukars in with any other birds as they are aggressive little buggers.They don't even get along with each other.One day you go to see them and there is a dead one, the next day another.Your pen is plenty big enough for about 10-12 birds,with few males,maybe 2 at most.I found that using a masonry sand on the ground kept them much healthier looking birds.They would be much better off the ground,but they do need and love to sand bathe.Don't forget to give them perches and plenty of hiding spaces.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. pHoEnIx_FiRe

Mar 27, 2010
    wow thanks for the feed back i never had a problem mixing thme .. and i think is not the bobwhite thats doing anything to it is like they are suffocating and theire eyes seem to be getting puffed ... how much is that sand ???

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Are they near chickens?

5. pHoEnIx_FiRe

Mar 27, 2010
    yes !! ?? [​IMG]

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Get them away,chickens can give pheasants all kinds of diseases.
    The sand is cheap.You can get it at a landscaping supply.
    In N.H.,Tony

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:by the sounds of it they already caught something from the chickens if their eyes are puffing up..... may be too late for them if its Coryza.......

8. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Get them on some sulmet as soon as you can. When my friend's birds got it we saved a few. If they heal their offspring will be carriers making them useless for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by