1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick cochin bantam's and vicks vapor rub

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamrock, Oct 11, 2010.

1. jamrock

jamrock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    mo
    I am new here and have a question.I have read about vetrx and using it when your chickens have runny nose's and cold like symptom's.Now my question is will a little vicks vapor rub put under the wing like you would with the vetrx have the same effect?They both contain camphor and are used for congestion.I have been giving them duramycin-10 for 2 days now and not really helping much.Should I increase the dose of duramycin?I have been using a 1/4 teaspoon for 32 ounces of water.Which is a 400mg dose or should I increase it to the 800mg dose?Please help me I don't want to lose my 5 white cochin bantam's which are 3 to 6 months old.

2. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Runny nose swollen eyes, sounds like a respiratory infection. I would give a bantam size bird 1 cc injection of Tylan 50. You can get it at TSC for $10. Never use Vick's on a bird, their lungs are different than ours are.

3. jamrock

Oct 11, 2010
    mo
    Where would the injection be given?

4. jamrock

Oct 11, 2010
    mo
    and how often should this be done?Should I leave them on the duramycin also?

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No Duramycin. Neither birds or people should inhale Vick's. The injection goes in the breast.

6. jamrock

Oct 11, 2010
    mo
    Do I give tylan 50 to them once a day or just 1 injection per bird?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have no idea. What does the bottle say?

A search on here might reveal the answer.

8. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    One injection into a sick bird should take care of it. Add vitamins to their water for a week or 2. I PM'd you directions,as to how to give the injection.

9. jamrock

Oct 11, 2010
    mo
    OK I have given them the TYLAN-50 and got some durvet electrolyte and vitamin water supplement.I put a heat lamp on them as well.It's been getting down to the upper40's to low 50's at night.They are in an enclosed shed that is raised 12 inches off the ground with pine shaving for litter. Anything else anyone can think of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by