sick cochin chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nippers, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Nippers

Nippers Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a 3 or 4 week chick that lies on its side gasping, and doesn't eat or drink. has anyone experienced anything like this?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Gasping is not a good sign. You could try to treat her with Tylan, for respiratory ailments. I hope she makes it. The chick also needs food and water. .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any mold in the coop from wet bedding or wet feed? Aspergillosis can be a problem with fungal respiratory infection. Also, if the chick could have coccidiosis and be dying, there could be gasping. Have you seen the chick standing around puffed up, not eating, weakness with diarrhea or blood in poops, and ruffled feathers? Corid or amprollium is the treatment for coccidiosis.

4. Nippers

she hasn't been standing around like that. mold could be a possibility, so do i quarantine her in a place with fresh bedding and treat her with tylan?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the problem is aspergillosis from mold, there is no treatment except to remove moldy conditions. If you suspect a bacterial respiratory disease such as MG, then Tylan 50 1/4 ml orally daily for 5 days may help. Here is a link to read about common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. Nippers

the chick died today. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So very sorry that your chick did not survive..

Suzie[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by