sick cochin hen - lethargic, loss in appetite, sleepy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ghandigirl, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ghandigirl

ghandigirl New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Hi all, we have a sick cochin chick.

She is 8 months old. We noticed a change in her behavior 2 days ago.

She is very lethargic now and she was too weak to jump on her roost in the coop the past 2 nights. So we took her in to keep her warm and so that she can get some rest. We changed the food (organic chicken layer feed 2 days ago from one brand to another). The pellets are a little different - larger now and the color is different). Poor chick has watery stools (never had before) and drinks a lot. She has never been as active as the rest of the flock but yesterday she barely walked, only very slowly. At least she ate yesterday.

Today she would not even eat on her own. I made a mixture of egg yolk, oats, grated apple, some cat food and cottage cheese and she seems to like that and ate half of it. She sleeps on and off during the day now and drinks a lot. Her comb is a little pale too.

Do you have any other suggestions on what I can give her so that she gets better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    what does her crop feel like? So sorry this is happening :( She is a beautiful bird.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would treat her for coccidiosis. I don't think she's too old to get it. That would be the most common thing, and you may have to help her drink the medicated water.
    I would also feed her anything she likes and eats!

4. ghandigirl

ghandigirl New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Hi,

it feels kind of hard, but it does not really feel any different than the crop from our other chickens...

5. ghandigirl

ghandigirl New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Thanks for your input. We noticed that it was less watery than in the posted picture today, and there was never blood in it so far. Do you think it would be safe to treat her for coccidiosis with Corid even if we are not sure that she has that? No vet will be available for the upcoming holidays (to get a stool sample tested). Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by