1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Cochin Hen "Thelma"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmitchell, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dmitchell

dmitchell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    I have a cochin hen that just started laying 4 weeks ago. Few days ago I noticed she sneezed and then today its a cough. No nasal drainage, no eye problems, diarrhea maybe,not sure it was her. No blood in it. She is eating and drinking, acting the same. But, I want to treat this fast. Someone told me about Ty lan 50 inj in breast 3/4 - 1 cc for 5 days. I can do that, just need to know where to get the Tylan. Can it be picked up at the feed store? Or where? Also is this the best way or should I try the powder in water and treat them all. 7 Hens. All about the same age. ONly one with the cough.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know. I usually get the water soluable tetracycline at the feed or pet supply. If you have to go on-line, you could get her started on some water soluable until the injectable gets there. Maybe someone here has a better idea. But it does sound like you need to get her started asap.

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

You can usually get Tylan in the feed store (my Agway sells it) & hopefully you have or can get some good small needles for your girl's injections. For a minor cold/infection, you can use water soluables too, and it's not a bad idea to dose everyone in the flock. You should make up a new batch of medicated water daily, so you may want to make the Rx by the quart at first, so you don't end up wasting it. If your cochin hen starts making gurgling sounds when she breathes, or starts sounding like a coffee percolator, it might be moving into pneumonia and a vet visit or stronger antibiotic may be in order. Hope this helps!!

4. dmitchell

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for you fast reply. I also heard Tetracycline Soluble to mix with their water is the way to treat this. Since I should be treating all the hens. Know anything about this one. It sounds better than injections and it will treat everyone at once.

5. dmitchell

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for your suggestion. Can you give me the dosage. I just looked it up on line and it sounded like greek to me. I'm a nurse but this dosage is not human. It says 25mg/lb of body weight. With a Stock solution 71.4g dissolved in 1,500 ml warm water provides 34 mg per ml. (3 pt)? Does that mean with this mixture I get 3 pts. of treatment ?

Quote:

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:
    Oh, the dosage. I had a problem with that myself for a long time so I just took someone elses recommendation here. I put one teaspoon per gallon of water (my little water bucket may be more like 1 1/2 gallons but a tsp seems plenty). Replace with fresh mixture each morning (because it destablizes (loses strength) and also turns the water red). Put something else in the water like some cherry jello powder (oh maybe a 1/2 teaspoon, I don't know) to cover up the bitter taste of the antibiotic. Make it there only source of water so they have to drink it.

7. dmitchell

Jun 2, 2011
    Thank you so much. Husband will go first thing in the morning to feed store and get them started. I hope it is soon enough. I don't know how long she could have had this. But she does not act sick. Others are fine. Thank you again.

Quote:
    Oh, the dosage. I had a problem with that myself for a long time so I just took someone elses recommendation here. I put one teaspoon per gallon of water (my little water bucket may be more like 1 1/2 gallons but a tsp seems plenty). Replace with fresh mixture each morning (because it destablizes (loses strength) and also turns the water red). Put something else in the water like some cherry jello powder (oh maybe a 1/2 teaspoon, I don't know) to cover up the bitter taste of the antibiotic. Make it there only source of water so they have to drink it.

8. dmitchell

Jun 2, 2011
    Thank you for your help. I did try the techcycline and did not see any improvement after 3 days. She has just gotten her first shot of the Tylan today. Thanks again Deb

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by