Sick Cochin roo Worms???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4-H Girl, Jul 31, 2011.

1. 4-H Girl

4-H Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    We are new to raising chickens and have found we have a problem....our 5 month old blue cochin doesn't look or act sick but when we pick him up is extremly thin...can feel his breast bones and no meat on him (sorry I don't know all of the correct terms). He has also had runny green poo for a couple of weeks now. I am suspecting worms. Does this sound possible? How do I know if I need to treat for worms?

What things can we feed him to get him healthy again? So far we have only been feeding the starter crumbles.

Do we need to seperate him from the rest (2 buff cochins & 3 polish crested)?

If it is worms do we need to treat the whole flock?

Thanks for any help!

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    i think what people reccoment is treating with a round-wormer like Wazine then follow up a few days later with a broad spectrum womer like ivermectin. I think it would be safe to say that if one chicken gets treated, treat them all. Make sure he has access to food and isn't getting bullied. perhaps he also needs some treats!

3. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Im not good at adding links so I will bump you up in order, but look through diseases and cures and look for the "POOP CHART".

4. thedubaifox

thedubaifox New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Green poop + very thin chest bone is a very strong sign for worms being in hen internal parts. Thus, you can treat that by taking the hen to the vet and let him check it out and give you the worms protection course that kills them in the whole flock.

give treats of food to encourage her to eat as she might not resist some kind of foods .. I do cook rice with spices and chicken love that so much! they also love to see red food such as tomatoes! you can get your flock to become crazy with tomatoes!

hope this helps!

Regards,
    Kareem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by