Sick cockerels - Help!!!!!!

crazyaboutchickens

Live Long And Prosper
11 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Nowhere/Everywhere
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
One Is a Blue laced Red Wyandotte. The other is of unknown breed. They are both cockerels of about 7 months . Unsure of the weight, but they don’t seem to be loosing weight either.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
The BLRW was shaking his head, seemingly unable to breathe, almost as if it had a large piece of food stuck in his throat. Afterwards he started shaking his head so violently that he lost his balance on his perch. Luckily he didn’t fall, but after this he stood still like an upright statue, swirling his head around once in a while. I brought him inside and he still is like he was. As for the other bird he always has his eyes half closed and moves only to eat or drink.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
This is the first time I have seen both birds like this.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, but two of my other cockerels died, probably last night, as I found then this morning.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None apart from what I have already said.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I know of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Both of them have been eating pellets as they normally do. At the moment I think both their crops are full.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal, I will post any following changes.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Apart from bringing the both of then into the house and warmth, None.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
To treat them myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I did not have a camera at the time that it happened, it only lasted 10 or so seconds and it also hasn’t happened again.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Hay mostly, with some shredded pine, I think it was. The kind one uses for chicks.

Back
Top Bottom