sick copper maran

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jec9564, Aug 18, 2013.

1. jec9564

jec9564 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Ihave a copper maram roster that is sneezing.he can breathes ok but he has a hard time exhaling and it os raspy.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like it could be a respiratory disease. Is there any swelling of his face/comb and wattles, or any discharge? Even if there are no other symptoms, a respiratory disease is likely.

The disease could be viral, in which case all you can do is keep him warm, hydrated, and well fed. Offer him scrambled eggs, applesauce, and yogurt if his appetite decreases. Electrolytes and probiotics are good idea as well.

Just as likely, the disease may be bacterial, in which case you will need an antibiotic. To start with, you can get some oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and LA200 all contain oxytetracyline). If this doesn't work, try Tylan50 or Tylan200. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into the breast muscle using a small needle once daily for five days. The dosage for Tylan200 is .5ccs for large fowl, and .1-.2ccs for bantams, given the same way as Tylan50 for three days. Tylan is a nice strong antibiotic, and should work if you are dealing with a bacterial infection.

Remember to isolate your bird, as respiratory diseases spread quickly and can be serious.

Hope this helps!

3. Dianne1928

Dianne1928 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Stagecoach Nevada
    Are his eyes swolen? Runny nose? If so you should quarintine him. Once a bird becomes infected they will be carriers. Antibiotics in the drinking water will clear the infection. Hope this helps.

4. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I'm going though the same thing right now. My birds have been sick for two weeks. Runny nares with foul, foul odor, bubbles in the eyes, gurgling in the chest, open beak breathing. I treated with Oxytetracycline in their water for a week. I saw no results whatsoever. In fact I think they got worse. So after many hours of reading threads and getting lots of opinions I have decided that they probably have Coryza. I got Tylan 50 from Tractor Supply. I will treat for five days. Today was day two. I hope to see results soon. The information I have on Tylan is that you need to discard eggs for a week after treatment.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. fireflyhatchery

fireflyhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Just get him a spot to rest and recover. Not much is needed except make sure it is dry and at a reasonable temp. Plenty of water and fruit (like watermelon) with his normal feed will boost immunity and get him back on track quickly.

6. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    The instructions I have is 1/2cc for adult birds. Why is there a discrepancy in dosages? I have been giving 1/2 cc for three days. Should I increase to 1cc for the remaining two days? Will it hurt them?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tylan dose? How's your math? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by