Sick Cornish X?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobdave, May 20, 2010.

1. bobdave

bobdave New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    I have a 6-7 week old Cornish X that can't stand up anymore. As a chick, he has always been a bit on the lazy side, as he tended to sit while the other chicks moved around. I thought it might be because his body was growing so fast. Up until last week, he and the other chicks were kept in a plywood box that was approximately 2ft x 2ft with a 1/4" rat wire floor. Last week, they seemed a bit crowded, so I moved them into a temporary pen that was 8 ft by 6 ft with a concrete floor. Over the weekend, I noticed that the Cornish X was becoming less mobile; by Tuesday night, I noticed that he could no longer stand. His legs are always straight out in front of him, and he frequently tries to hunch forward like he is trying to get up.

Is this normal for a Cornish X, or is he sick?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Cornish X rooster, approximately 7 weeks
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    He tries to stand up, but can't seem to get his feet under him.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Since Tuesday night
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No signs of trauma.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    None that I know of.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Drinking fresh water and eating medicated Start and Grow
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Runny
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Separated him from the other chickens.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    No drastic measures. Was hoping to slaughter him in a few weeks, but I'm not sure he is fit to each now.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    See above.

2. little_giant

little_giant Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    im pretty sure that the cornish cross is too heavy to support itself.
    its pretty normal and they usually break their legs so farmers usually kill them by 6 weeks
    i have 2 1 yr old cornish X hens that can run and walk.
    i feed them only three times a day and i exercise them (make them run across the yard.)
    they are still fat but can walk
    try feeding them less.
    hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by