Sick coturnix:(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dsfrango, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    So I started with 6 quail. I am now down to 4 which I think another one is about to go. I don't know why but every month I feel like im losing one. They are in a corner cage in my main chicken coop. They always have food and water etc. this one is the weirdest though because I think she's disoriented. She's only making left hand turns and is very figity with just her head movements. Please help!

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news...but, the first mistake you made was in putting them in a corner of your big chicken coop, cage or not. Domestic poultry carry diseases that won't display on your chickens but are fatal to your quail. If without the direct contact, birds are dusty, dander throwing fools. On your own biosecurity, you pass through the chickens first, and by handling those birds first, you could be the vector.

Unfortunately, there probably is little hope for your remaining quail, but you can start again. Put the cage or pen for quail, well outside of where your keep chickens. Don't use the same the tools (buckets, waters, feeders, even cleaning equipment) for both. Take care of your quail first, then chickens...change shoes.

I feel bad for your losses and wish whoever sold you either birds or eggs to get your start had told you Quail 101 before you got them.

Don't be discouraged, try again!

Good luck

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Thanks for that info, so it's similar to turkey's and chickens together. I heard about that but wasn't sure if it went the same for quails and chickens. I will definitely modify this VERY soon. Thanks you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by