Sick, coughing, squishy cropped hen. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yardbirds286, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    1 1/2 year old BR Hen
    Has never been sick until 1 hour ago.
    Blood coming out of nose, gurgling when she breaths, very full sqishy feeling crop, hiccups??
    was fine all day. Gave her some bread soaked in water with ACV in it. Gave her some grit, massaged the crop a bit. Any advice would be great. She is my 11 year old son's chicken and we are worried about her. Sorry if this post is a little choppy, we have been without power for a while here and I am so tired. She is in the bathroom relaxing right now. She always did hate the cold, so I brought her in. Again, thanks for any help.

2. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    sounds like mine this week have lost 3 birds this week all seemed fine one day next day bloody mucus from nose gasping for air.
    Autosy back today Gape Worm apparently had got into trachea and they suffocated.
    Wormer i was using Vermex doesn't kill it.[​IMG]
    Just a thought,
    hope everything works out.[​IMG]

3. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Thanks Liz, I am sorry to hear about your losses. I had their poop tested for worms about 6 weeks ago, and everything was normal. So I am thinking maybe sour crop? Not sure. Never had an issue before. I just switched over to their metal waterer for winter so they have not had AVC in their water like usual.

4. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    how is she doing?
    mine had sour crop 1x, but no blood... hope your girl is ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by