Sick/dead chicken. Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quail 247, Mar 5, 2013.

1. quail 247

quail 247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Okay, One of my OEG bantams was being bullied by another rooster, so I took him out, and put him with a couple of my pheasant, he was in there for 4 days untill i got rid of the bully rooster. When he was in with the pheasant, he got a little sneeze, wasn't constant, but it didn't just come and go either. We have really sandy/dusty soil in the pheasant pen, so I chocked it up to being that, and maybe it was just giving him the sniffles. So 2 days ago I got rid of the bully rooster, and put him back into the chicken pen. The sneezing died down. Well today, his sneezing was bad, as I was feeding I kept hearing him, and I looked over, and he was on the ground, with his wings out, trying to get his footing, he had a clear, syrup consistency mucus/water drainage coming from his mouth, his breathing was very heavy, then he got limp and passed away in my arms. All of this accured in about 1 minute. From the time I saw him, to the time he passed.

I have no idea what it could be. Everyone else looks fine, no sneezing ect. Maybe he had a cold? Or? Any opinions would be appreciated!

2. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    I should also add, he's been drinking and eating like normal.

3. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    No one? I have a feeling, because he was drinking at the time, maybe as he took a drink, he sneezed, and maybe aspirated himself and basically "drowned"? So far no other chickens are showing signs of illness.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... The fluid coming from the mouth is often just part of the dying process as is the heaving breathing and flopping around. Where do you live? Maybe you can send him for necropsy? They're free in many US States.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    I live in NJ, I burried him, so I can't do a necropsy now.

6. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Does anyon know if necropsies are free in VA or how to find out???

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Maryland does them for less than VA if I remember correctly... I'll see if I can find that info for you.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by