Sick Diamond Doves

sourhernoldie

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 17, 2017
southern Louisiana
This is a great source of information so first I would like to thank all of you but in reading so much I am lost. We live in coastal Louisiana and lately the weather has been a little unstable. If the weather goes from 80 to 40 in one night do I need to have heat in the aviary at this time there is an oil heater in there but after reading some for the post that could be wrong; their are canaries and diamond dove with them.

Last edited:
You do not provide very much info.
How many are there?
What else do you have besides canaries and Diamond Doves.?
Which are the sick ones?
How long have you had them and how did you care for them last winter?

Here is my general opinion about maintaining heat for birds. If you do, then your birds will become dependent on that heat. They will not grow their own protective down to care for environmental changes. You may be doing this all winter long, and if you somehow overlook giving them heat, could be devastating.
From your location, it looks like you do not get very much cold. If you still have concerns, then you may consider housing them indoors with controlled temps, until Spring.
80 to 40 temperature swing is not all that bad as when temps drop below freezing. JMO.
WISHING YOU BEST.... :thumbsup

Fumes from the oil heater might be making your doves sick (if they are sick). It is not clear from your post.

Canaries and doves are very hardy birds. They do not require extra heat in the winter (provided the temps are not sub zero in the extreme).

In fact, giving them extra heat can cause more problems, leading them to start molting feathers at the wrong time of year, or getting dependant on the heat and sick from the temperature difference from outside aviary on inside the shelter.

All they need is a draught free insulated shelter to roost in. Providing extra lighting during the day hours will help on dark days.. and extend the daylight time.. so they can eat enough to give energy through the night. A light in the shelter will also encourage the birds to come in for the evening (like moths to a light).

Back
Top Bottom