sick dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by calidude209, Jan 12, 2017.

1. calidude209

calidude209 New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    i have a mix cattle dog.she is small and weights 40lbs.about 3 days ago i noticed she wouldnt get out of her pet porter and wouldnt eat much.i boiled some chicken and gave her a little bit since she didnt want to eat much.i took her to the vet the next day.vet assistant took out a qtip and swab the mouth then from behind on same qtip for testing.she said it's not parvo.i told the vet she wouldnt get out of her pet porter and doesnt eat after the day i gave her chicken.vet gave me cephalexin 250mg pills.1 pill every 2 hours.i been giving her every 3-4 hours just in case to be on the safe side.any ideas? she just drinks water when i have the bowl next to her.she did throw up greenish liquid at the vet and alot same night i brought her home.

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Huh did she get into something, she's not pregnant is she

3. calidude209

calidude209 New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    She is spayed.4 years of age.im stumped.about a year ago my brother's two cattle dog mixes had parvo.they looked weak and slow.he gave them parvo shots and they recovered.mine doesn't get out of the pet porter.right now she's just laying down with eyes open.im going to leave her inside for the night.shes inside the pet porter.

4. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    She will be in my prayers

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

When my (now 13 year old) dog was a puppy, I adopted her from the local shelter. After getting her home, I realized she wasn't eating or drinking - alarming for a puppy - and took her to an emergency vet. That vet did a parvo test twice before they would let her into the office...and ultimately, it turned out that she had a life-threatening coccidia infection, not parvo. Ironically, the shelter called me to tell me that parvo had been diagnosed in my dog's littermates and advised me to bring her back, if I wished, to trade her for another dog. [​IMG]

I did have a dog that contracted parvo when I was a kid; as I recall, our dog (he survived the infection) had to be fed a high-calorie nutritional gel, as the virus interferes with the ability to absorb nutrients. More info here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/baker/about/articles/CanineParvovirus.cfm.

Best wishes for your girl's recovery.

6. calidude209

calidude209 New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    thanks for the info.she finally ate a little piece of egg.i will take her to a different vet in the morning.

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Just checking back on your girl - how's she doing?

8. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    How's she soing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by