Sick dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sword, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    I need some tips for helping my poor little beagle.
    My barn cats have been leaving lots dead mice and things lying around lately. My family kept letting the dog out unsupervised, even though I kept telling them not to (they made sure I wasn't around when they did it). She'd go and eat a bunch of dead mice, throw them up on the floor later, and then be fine. That had been going on for a few weeks. A few days ago, there was a really old disgusting looking bird carcass in the yard. I went to get a shovel to get rid of it. Unbeknownst to me, someone in the house let the dog out. I got back to where the bird was, and my dog had just finished it, feathers, bones, bugs and all. Since then, she's had had diarrhea and been throwing up. She has still been drinking, but she won't eat unless I force her. I've been giving her small amounts of baby food and a high calorie paste I got at the pet store. She doesn't have a fever, and her pupils look normal. She's been improving very slowly, but I want to know if there's anything I can do to help her get well faster. Can I give her a little Gatorade (or something similar) to help her get over the loss of fluids?
    They don't let her out unsupervised anymore. Why couldn't they listen BEFORE my dog was miserable and in pain? [​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Vet - quickly - A bone could have punctured something

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Sounds like you need to make a trip to the vet. From my experience with dogs it could be a variety of things, worms, bacterial infection, depending on what killed the creatures, could be poison, or could just be intestinal issues. Diarrhea is very serious and needs to be taken care of ASAP. Don't mean to sound "preachy" but you need to act now before she gets worse.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Plain white rice is suppose to help dogs that have upset tummies. But you may want to take her to the vet as she sounds pretty sick. [​IMG]

5. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

My dog has not eaten any dead birds, but one time surfed the kitchen counter and ate half a devils food cake. Of course, I had to do the peroxide thing with her and give her Kaopectate.

Was the bird a wild bird like a cardinal or robin? If so, I might be a little concerned that she has something stuck in her throat if she is still throwing up and doesn't want to eat. I agree, based on that, that a trip to the vet is in order.

For future reference, our vet told me that generally speaking whatever I would do for myself when sick is be okay to do for a dog. Believe it or not, after Kona had the cake purge, I offered her a cup of camomile tea with honey and she drank it and acted like she wanted more. When I was sure she was going to keep it down, she drank more. While she was napping, I simmered a pound of ground turkey in 2 qts of water and gave her the broth a cup at a time. Then I added a little cooked rice to the broth. By the way, Canned broth has too much salt for dogs (and humans). She perked up pretty fast. Over the next day or two I gave her the turkey a little at a time mixed with rice. I don't think gatorade would hurt her, but again, maybe dilute it because of the sodium in it.

Keep us posted!

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    One of my dogs is named Kona too! I also have a Maui and Leilani and my inlaws have Hilo and Pele

anyhoo back on topic, I still recommend a visit to the vet and wanted that said foremost. However, plain white rice and boiled chicken/turkey are good for upset stomachs in dogs. I agree not gatorade because of the sodium, try ice cubes as an alternative if she will eat them. I have also given my dogs anti-diarrhea medicine my dog was 75 lbs to I would give him 1 people pill with smaller dogs the dosage would need adjusted.

Again, this is just from my experience and I still strongly recommend a vet visit first

7. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vet! It could also be gastroenteritis, often referred to as ‘garbage-gut’, which typically causes diarrhea (with or without vomiting) after "dietary indiscretion" (i.e. a dog eating things it shouldn't have). Another concern is Salmonella. Some birds carry Salmonella in their intestinal tracts and dogs could become infected from eating them. The West Nile virus can cause death in birds, especially species such as blue jays and crows. But the risk of transmission of the West Nile virus to dogs from eating dead birds is presumably very low. I wouldn't feed rice without going to the vet first. Just in case there is a blockage it could make things worse. I couldn't imagine a bone being stuck unless your dog absolutely inhales its food. Chicken bone is actually very soft and should never splinter unless cooked. I hope this helps.

8. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Its probably not a blockage, as that will usually cause anything that goes down to come up within a minute or three, because it can't get past the block. It could be. Any number of bacterial, protazoal, or parasitic infestations though. Cocccidia, campylobacter, clostridium, giardia, etc. I don't know offhand what the symptoms of lepto are, but mice are a vector for that as well. Vet trip and a poop sample!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by