Sick Duck, any help welcome please

Hi --- I figure it's about 6 AM on your side of the world.

For now, please, keep up the Epsom Salt Flush and the charcoal slurry. I am glad she is drinking & eating a little. The mitavite sounds good; did she eat any egg? Despite the fact that you are trying to flush out her system, without food a bird can go downhill quickly with their high metabolism.

As for the electrolytes, at home you can use an over the counter oral electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte for infants. It replaces nutrients & minerals lost to diarrhea (or in this case, induced flush). Go to pedialyte.com to get specifics and find the equivalent product in your area. Or try Mitavite soaked in apple or grape juice thus adding a carb easy to convert to energy to the protein in Mitavite. There is plenty of magnesium in the Epsom Salts but for the other minerals try to get the electrolyte solution. I would
be concerned about adding a bit shaved off the salt block; it would be too easy too get too much.

You are probably right about the cause being the seed; do whatever you have to do to keep her from getting into it again. It could be a toxic plant or a crow could have dropped who knows what.

On the eyes, you are looking for one pupil larger than the other or one eye ticking just a bit. With her weakness, you have to consider a neurological origin.

I will check in later. Hopefully, all will turn out well. Take Care, Sherilyn

Just thought to add, if you get an electrolyte solution, it is used INSTEAD of the usual water to drink. I actually think you are smart enough to know that but I just never assume anybody knows anything. Better to give too much instruction than too little. :)

Last edited:
Hi Sherilyn, (And All)

I lost her at about 11pm. I knew, really, when at lunchtime she could stand and walk a bit, and then by 6pm she couldnt, and then I knew from about 7pm when her breathing started to get rattly, but she was still nipping me and looking cheeky so I just kept hoping.

I gave her a little water with honey. She kept turning her head away, so I gave her some plain water. Went to give the horses their night hay, I was gone literally 10mins. When I returned she was just going. I just held her, my poor little one. She would have been 2 in december. She was so special to me, because when I found her, I had another rescue bird who died - a tiny wren- I was taking her out to our little bird graveyard when I found the eggs. Stupid place for them, no other ducks, no water, no protection. I didnt even know how old they were but I took them and incubated them. All the way through 3 showed great development, but only one moved everytime I shone the light in, and that was Piper. It was one of the most exciting moments, to get home from work and see that tiny pip. You know how nerve wracking that last week is when you cant see anything! After over 12 hours I helped her hatch.

Most tragic to me, I cannot forgive myself for this, she gave me one clutch of beautiful fully fertilized eggs last year. I didnt take them to incubate because I was doing extra hours at work. The big girls tossed out her eggs and by the time I realized they had died. My one shot at purebreds, Pipers and Wists children and I blew it. She only gave me that one chance.

The Drake Wist is following me around, he wants her back. He just left the pen - something he never does - came to the back door to quak at me! He's alone with giants now.

In regards to that, if anyone knows how I might get some call ducks out here Id love to know. I have never seen them for sale anywhere, and Ive looked, but some were shown at this years Hawkesbury show. They are so like the little pacific blacks, Im hoping Wist might be able to make babies with them. Hes not having much luck with his Pekin cross.

Thankyou all so much for your help. Ive learned so much and even though my hearts a bit broken I keep it up

Hi Sherilyn, (And All)

I lost her at about 11pm. I knew, really, when at lunchtime she could stand and walk a bit, and then by 6pm she couldnt, and then I knew from about 7pm when her breathing started to get rattly, but she was still nipping me and looking cheeky so I just kept hoping.

I gave her a little water with honey. She kept turning her head away, so I gave her some plain water. Went to give the horses their night hay, I was gone literally 10mins. When I returned she was just going. I just held her, my poor little one. She would have been 2 in december. She was so special to me, because when I found her, I had another rescue bird who died - a tiny wren- I was taking her out to our little bird graveyard when I found the eggs. Stupid place for them, no other ducks, no water, no protection. I didnt even know how old they were but I took them and incubated them. All the way through 3 showed great development, but only one moved everytime I shone the light in, and that was Piper. It was one of the most exciting moments, to get home from work and see that tiny pip. You know how nerve wracking that last week is when you cant see anything! After over 12 hours I helped her hatch.

Most tragic to me, I cannot forgive myself for this, she gave me one clutch of beautiful fully fertilized eggs last year. I didnt take them to incubate because I was doing extra hours at work. The big girls tossed out her eggs and by the time I realized they had died. My one shot at purebreds, Pipers and Wists children and I blew it. She only gave me that one chance.

The Drake Wist is following me around, he wants her back. He just left the pen - something he never does - came to the back door to quak at me! He's alone with giants now.

In regards to that, if anyone knows how I might get some call ducks out here Id love to know. I have never seen them for sale anywhere, and Ive looked, but some were shown at this years Hawkesbury show. They are so like the little pacific blacks, Im hoping Wist might be able to make babies with them. Hes not having much luck with his Pekin cross.

Thankyou all so much for your help. Ive learned so much and even though my hearts a bit broken I keep it up
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss.

About call ducks, I don't know about the general status of them in Australia but around here (QLD) if the classifieds are anything to go by they're gaining popularity so I would guess it is only a matter of time before you can replenish your flock.

Best wishes.

I am so sorry. I know how hard this is. Words never really help me. I bury the dead, hug the living and then go for a LONG walk in the woods. Hopefully, you can find solace of your own. Take Care, Sherilyn

Thankyou everyone. Im just tearing up all over the place. I cant seem to stop. Got to get out and get the afternoon jobs done and go to work soon.

We have bird auctions near here every saturday, I dont get to go because Im at work 10hrs that day. I have holidays coming up in November (when my broodmare is due) so I want to go then. I remember when I went years ago to get a mate for my pigeon there were a few call - pacific cross breeds. Maybe I will have some luck and find some similar little birds. Knowing me I'll bring home a peacock!

Thankyou all, so very much for all your help. She was just too little, but we tried at least.

Back
Top Bottom