Sick duck. Need advice

Arevis2017

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
We purchased a duck we believe is around 2 months old. I noticed right off that it would lay down when eating or drinking and wouldn’t walk far without laying down. Fast forward to this weekend. We’ve had them a few weeks and they’ve been in the field and pond. We came home and noticed this duck limping very badly. I took it to our home and put it in our small covered pen. By the next day, it wasn’t walking at all anymore. I brought it in the house and put it in a cardboard box with bedding. It will not get up or move. It is eating and drinking fine but I have to put the bowls directly in front of it. It’s poo looks a bit runny but I’m at a lose as to what is wrong with it or how to help it. We are not able to take it to the vet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did check its legs and there is no swelling, nothing unusual feeling from one or the other. It’s nostrils are clear, eyes are clear, feathers look good…

We purchased a duck we believe is around 2 months old. I noticed right off that it would lay down when eating or drinking and wouldn’t walk far without laying down. Fast forward to this weekend. We’ve had them a few weeks and they’ve been in the field and pond. We came home and noticed this duck limping very badly. I took it to our home and put it in our small covered pen. By the next day, it wasn’t walking at all anymore. I brought it in the house and put it in a cardboard box with bedding. It will not get up or move. It is eating and drinking fine but I have to put the bowls directly in front of it. It’s poo looks a bit runny but I’m at a lose as to what is wrong with it or how to help it. We are not able to take it to the vet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did check its legs and there is no swelling, nothing unusual feeling from one or the other. It’s nostrils are clear, eyes are clear, feathers look good…
Can you post pictures of it's legs? Did the previous owner supplement niacin? Was the duck able to walk normally before you purchased her?

Can you post pictures of it's legs? Did the previous owner supplement niacin? Was the duck able to walk normally before you purchased her?
I will post pics when I get home. I’m assuming it was well taken care of, I bought it and two others from a well respected “bird” man in our town. It was walking ok but I did notice it would lay down to eat and drink and didn’t walk around as much as the others would.

I will post pics when I get home. I’m assuming it was well taken care of, I bought it and two others from a well respected “bird” man in our town. It was walking ok but I did notice it would lay down to eat and drink and didn’t walk around as much as the others would.
Are it's legs kinda bowed out at the joint?

Can't say what is wrong, the leg could just be injured or have something else going on. What you can do no matter what the issue is, is give it a deep bath. This will let the duck float and take the weight off the leg. Also, this is a good low impact way off rehabilitating the leg or legs. Swimming helps strengthen the leg without the added stress of supporting weight.

If it is an injury, it can take sometime to heal. They need time to rest. As long as it is eating and drinking well, that is good.

I would also take pictures of the bottom of its feet, so bumblefoot can be ruled out.

I'd just automatically think of a Niacin deficiency and probably had it for a while and just gradually getting worse.
Some ducklings can show symptoms overnight and others it is subtle and doesn't show up as easily. Just to rule out Niacin I rec you get to a TSC close by and get the Liquid B Complex. Many of us have used it and it's one of the best for getting this deficiency under wraps quick. You'll need to dose 1 ml daily over a tasty treat so your sure this duckling is getting a full dose. You can also add to their water for your other ducklings.
If it's an injury the B complex will help there too because it's great for muscle strength.

Is there a way to load a video? It’s kind of wheezing just a tad bit. I have put it in a bath to clean it up from the poo several times and it does seem to ease it up some. Not sure if you can tell from the pics but it’s flopping it’s neck some to “move” away. The poo seems to be getting runnier :(
2A2E55B4-F4AC-4A7B-87E8-98F05159884E.jpeg

Attachments

• 26ADBB0E-90A7-4891-9868-DD586AEA4D37.jpeg
    26ADBB0E-90A7-4891-9868-DD586AEA4D37.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DE149158-D196-4679-886B-09F5DA1DFEC9.jpeg
    DE149158-D196-4679-886B-09F5DA1DFEC9.jpeg
    827.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4C8EFA24-CB08-4B3E-9718-F02D2BEAA8BD.jpeg
    4C8EFA24-CB08-4B3E-9718-F02D2BEAA8BD.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 4
No. The legs look normal. I posted some pics but will have to wait till the hubby gets home to get better of his legs. He wont budge them.
I could be wrong but from what I remember epsom salt (magnesium) is kinda muscle relaxing and could help in the bath water.

Is your pen covered? Does it feel like his leg might be broken?

Is there a way to load a video? It’s kind of wheezing just a tad bit. I have put it in a bath to clean it up from the poo several times and it does seem to ease it up some. Not sure if you can tell from the pics but it’s flopping it’s neck some to “move” away. The poo seems to be getting runnier :(View attachment 2733363
It's a precious duckling. Pekins are one of the breeds that can show up lame very quick and sounds like this has been coming on since you had him. I really think this is a niacin deficiency with the lameness. You mean when it's trying to move it's neck is going back and forth? That's pretty normal for a duck unless you mean something else.

Please read this
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom