Chickenfeeder22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
Hey there duck lovers,

So I have a pet duck that my mom is currently watching over for me. I moved to the city and fowl aren't allowed. Anyways, this ducks lives in the coop but aside from everyone else in a separate little coop we made for her because she can't walk. She's gone most of her life in a box indoors but with the weather getting nicer, my mom built her this coop for outside. She was doing just fine and there was even a pool she was able to hop in and out of whenever she wanted. She looked much happier and we were both glad she was finally able to get some interaction with the chickens and other ducks in the coop. As mentioned, she can't walk. She walks/hobbles on her hocks and can get around decently. Even in this new coop she was able to walk around and she was talking to the other ducks.

Well, my mom called me to tell me she found her slumped over near her pool. Might have been inside the pool? I can't remember. She is still alive but not looking good. I don't think it's a change of scenery or weather as the weather has been the same and if it was scenery she would've reacted a few months ago when we first moved her out there. I don't have many details other than that. She was born with her feet messed up so since she's not exactly the healthiest duck maybe her lifespan is shorter? She's already about 5 years old. Please let me know if any of you think of anything else that may be going on or anyway we can make her feel better! Thanks!

Where are you, @Chickenfeeder22? WHen you say the weather has been nice, what temperature is it? Although ducks can maintain their body temperature in sub freezing conditions, your girl may not be so good at that because she doesn't move as much to keep warm or because she was wet.

Perhaps keep her inside until the temperatures are warmer, but the set up your mother has made with her own little duck house and pool by the side of the other ducks and chickens sound perfect for her

Back
Top Bottom