Sick duck pens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Jan 16, 2011.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Has anybody ever used these (link below) for sick ducks? Like if you have to isolate one, or maybe separate males and females, or a duck is being a bully? They seem convenient for changing the design of the enclosure as different situations occur.

http://www.organizeit.com/poblackstorcube.asp

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The enclosures I use are about the size of all four of those cubes in one. One on its own really wouldnt allow a duck any space to move in- or provide space for food or water. While keeping a duck immobile in a small area is sometimes needed- a pet carrier is often better and easier to clean, and the duck is already in a suitable container to be moved around- say to inside the house for treatment or for travel to the vet.

3. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Oh, no, I meant way more space. I can get 30 cubes. So maybe 2 by 13, or I can borrow two from a friend and make it 3x10. It was an idea because they are so cheap. (20$ for 30)

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh yeah... I can see now that you can change the size with those little plastic connectors... I was just thinking the connectors were for joining one cube to another- rather than holding each cube together as well. They would be delivered flat packed- so you can make them what ever size you need. In that case.. Good find!! It could work really well for you.

5. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Oooh goody!!! As an add-on does anybody know how tall it'd need to be and how many I'd need for 2-3 medium ducks? (Some to keep the cripple company, daddy. One, or two...maybe some chickens too, and a few quail to decorate my room, daddy???) lol And would it need a top? We have the VERY rare hawk around here, and my dog nearly caught a red fox yesterday [​IMG] and we once had a fox kit in our basement who mom wanted to "exterminate the dog-rat" but I lured it out with dad, so I'm guessing that an injured/crippled duck could easily be a meal for a fox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by