sick duck possible upper respiratory infection

penguin070

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
I have a year old female pekin who is lethargic, she has white foamy bubbles in her eyes, and light wheezing. I'm trying to find her a vet but no luck so far. She ate and drank this morning before i went to work. I've cleaned her eyes and bill this morning and last night and fixed a mix of acv and water for her to wash her head in which she did several times.

The other 4 ducks and all the chickens appear fine, all are moving normally and running after bugs.

She has access to two pools bother deep enough to wash her head and get into and splash around, and a few shallow pans for drinking.

Is there anything I can give her to help her? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Looks like she's picked up an infection.

With light wheezing and lethargy, I'd say it's gone systemic and she needs oral or injectable antibiotics. I am not an expert on which antibiotics to use - but there are people more familiar with these things.

Please post over on the duck forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

More duck people are available there.

@sourland
@casportpony

I think I have read aureomycin is an antibiotic used for respiratory problems. And in the meantime, some cooled oregano tea in the water might help - I have read that is used in poultry to help avoid the need for antibiotics.

But at this point, I think a good duck vet would be great if that's possible, and I would be deciding which antibiotic to use if that's not possible.

I would also start rinsing her eyes with mild saline solution three times a day, and putting poultry vitamins in her drinking water.

Ducks can hide illness till it's really far along, so she needs help a.s.a.p.

hugs.gif

I'll try on the duck forum and see if anyone has any ideas. She was up with the other ducks and wasn't wheezing as bad. Thànks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom