Sick duck watery eyes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StormyMoon, Jan 8, 2011.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I just got back from a friend of mines home she has a sick duck its young but not a baby it has its adult feathers its a black runner.
    It had no sign of drainage from the nose that I could see but had ickies on the feathers around the eye looked like it had been draining for some time now.
    Is there anything I can suggest to her to get for the duck?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Clean water that it can wash its head in every day. For right now, a nice warm swim (80 to 90 degree F water), dry off in a warm brooder, vitamins and electrolytes.

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:Thank you very much!

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    StormyMoon,

How is the duck doing?

I noticed a few weeks ago that my chocolate runner (Lady Godiva) had a little bit of sticky drainage around both her eyes. I'm assuming this is because she is the lowest in the pecking order (poor girl - three of them pick on her but she keeps on trying to be friends and get along with everyone [​IMG] ) and wasn't getting enough swim time in the daily "winter" pool so I added another small pool which has seemed to help alot. Now that winter has hit I am adding very warm water to the pool too which I think they really enjoy. It's hysterical to see ducks floating in a small pool with steam rising around them and snow in the background. Today I looked at her eyes and they aren't runny anymore and look pretty good.

Last week I also started putting a medium rubber pan with clean fresh very warm water in their run at night along with clean fresh drinking cold water in the heated waterer. Surprisingly, adding this rubber pan of warm water has made a huge difference in the amount of water used from their 3 gallon drinking waterer. Normally, it's bone dry in the morning but now there's usually about 1 gallon or so water left. [​IMG]

I'm also assuming adding both of these second water "stations" has allowed Lady Godiva more access to water both at night and during the day. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by