1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hscberk07, May 30, 2016.

1. hscberk07

hscberk07 New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Farmville, Va
    Our pekin duck, Lilly, has been acting lethargic the past 24 hours or so and has been holding her head and neck toward the side. She has been drinking normally but eating sparingly, including her mealworms. We went out for dinner tonight with her in her pool and came back to her in front of her run but with an oddly shaped egg left in the pool. Any ideas as to what could be going on? It was as if the egg had a 2-3 inch long tail to it and a button on the other end.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. hscberk07

hscberk07 New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Farmville, Va
    [​IMG]

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Sometimes eggs come out wonky.
    Have you noticed a changed in her since she laid her egg?

4. hscberk07

hscberk07 New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Farmville, Va
    It was later last night when I noticed the egg and put her up for the night. I wasn't able to get out to the run this morning before I left for work, but my wife just told me that she seemed much better. I had read so much about an intestinal blockage that could lead to death that it was worrying me...especially since her friend and our other pekin was just taken in the middle of the night by either some hunting dogs or predators.

5. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

I think @Amiga may know what's up... she seems vey smart with ducks ;)

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Having some laying problems, I see.[​IMG]

Romy has done this from time to time. I give her a boost of calcium by crushing a calcium citrate tablet and adding about 100 mg to a treat at bedtime.

Egg production is quite involved - so much going on, and I feel we don't know everything yet. Some of the things involved:

light
    health
    stress
    environmental toxins
    diet - Vitamin D, calcium, phosphorus, probably other things
    hormones

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by