Sick duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackenboss, Jan 31, 2017.

1. quackenboss

quackenboss Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Huntsville, Texas
    My Pekin has been laying almost daily on and off for weeks. My son brought his dogs for the weekend and disrupted the household routine, i.e., the ducks were too nervous to approach their usual nests. The Pekin hasn't laid since then and she seems to not be feeling well. She sits on the bank sleeping when all the other ducks are playing in the water. Her appetite seems to be fine, though, and she isn't limping or anything. She is still pooping OK. Is it possible she might be egg bound because she was afraid to lay? I tried to feel of her hiney and didn't feel anything protruding or wet. I would welcome any advice.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be - have you been able to get her into a tub of lukewarm water to help her relax?

3. quackenboss

May 24, 2016
    Huntsville, Texas
    No, but she does go in the pond periodically. I noticed yesterday evening that she was hanging out with her buddies, the geese, so maybe she's feeling better. I will check on her when the sun comes up and report back.

4. quackenboss

May 24, 2016
    Huntsville, Texas
    No real change this morning but she is now moving around with the other birds - I just saw them down the driveway foraging. And she was not sitting when I first saw her this morning, but standing on one leg. We have 14 ducks, 3 of which are drakes. She seems to be the most 'popular' duck among the group, and is the gander's main squeeze as well. Perhaps she is just tired, and she has a bald spot/scab on the back of her neck from all the attention.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She needs a vacation from the boys. She depends on you to help her. She is injured, and so I would separate her with a friend or two for a few days at least. Treat her wounds. Check her weight.

Sometimes separating flock members can shift the dynamic - I would hope in her case it would prevent further problems with overmating, which can be deadly. Certainly cannot be any fun.

6. quackenboss

May 24, 2016
    Huntsville, Texas
    I believe you are exactly right. I penned her with two other girls yesterday and started treating her neck with antiseptic. She seemed much better today - and all 3 girls rewarded me with an egg this morning. But they are not happy being separated and the rest of the group has been camped around the pen, even the geese. I will give it a week and see how she's doing. Hopefully the boys will turn their attention to the younger girls and give her some peace. And isn't it about time for my goose to be going into season and distract the gander? They are about 9 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by