Sick duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Estebanlomasjr, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Estebanlomasjr

Estebanlomasjr Hatching

Aug 3, 2017
    Okay my I yesterday me and my sister were fishing and so these abandoned mallard duckling swimming towards us and no sign of the mom so we rescued all 6 and took them home and now one of them is breathing heavily and making a small napping sound and keeps dozing its head to the side but 30 minutes ago it was fine walking and running with its brothers and sisters

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Are you providing heat?....Ducklings need heat if they have no momma..A heat lamp in one spot so they can either get under it or away from it...

3. Estebanlomasjr

Estebanlomasjr Hatching

Aug 3, 2017
    Yes I am they have a heat lamp and everything idk if maybe it got something stuck in its little throat or bit by a ant cause they did come across a ant pile or maybe something heat related because they took a small swim before I got them under the heat lamp to dry up

4. chickens really

They are used to swimming being wild and had a Momma...What are you feeding?..

5. Estebanlomasjr

Estebanlomasjr Hatching

Aug 3, 2017
    Right now I'm feeding them smashed hard boiled egg and I know they're but can't have them out they will get eaten by something or wander off and die

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC!
    It would be best for you to call a local wildlife rehabber and surrender the ducklings to them.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

They need proper food, please call a wildlife rescue group.

8. chickens really

They need Feed as in Chick starter or contact a local waterfowl rehab and they will pick them up..

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You are good- hearted! I would find a waterfowl rehabber, and check the temperature. They can overheat.

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: