Sick duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyBabies, Jan 20, 2019.

1. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    My female Pekin fell ill yesterday. She started off walking a little off, and now she has lost all ability of her legs. She will flop on her back and have to be moved back over. She is acting like she can’t breathe well. This morning she would eat and drink a little, and now she will only drink when I syringe it to her. I’m not sure if she’s egg bound or something different. We have no vets here that take ducks. Is there anything I can do to help her more? She is inside away from my male, and dry. But I am at a loss of what else to do for her.

Raenh, Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

How old is she ? And when did she lay last? Check her vent is it pulsing like she is trying to lay? Could she have eaten anything that might have made her sick? Is her neck weak? What are you feeding her?

Raenh and Jpat like this.
  3. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    She is not even a year. I know for sure that she laid on Friday. I have a hard time keeping up with her eggs because she hides them. Her tail comes up sometimes, and then other times she keeps it down. The only thing that I can think of was that she was playing in muddy puddles yesterday. I give her dumour pellets and I put oyster shell with it, but she always picks it out and won’t eat it. Her neck was weak yesterday, but today she has been picking it up. My drake was constantly trying to mate her yesterday, so I don’t know if he did something to her or if it’s something she may have ate.

Raenh likes this.
  4. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    Also I’m not sure if it makes a difference, but she has only pooped once in about 28 hours.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She sounds egg bound to me. The loss of legs and can't poop sounds reproductive.

Raenh and quackiemama like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Sorry I didn’t get this alert. How is she this morning? Sounds to me like she is being over mated. Give her some time away from the drake. And consider getting more female at least 3-4 female to 1 drake the more the better. Have you given her a warm bath sometimes floating in nice warm water can help them relax enough to pass an egg. Do you notice any discharge coming from her vent? Also if it’s possible she is egg bound you can give her some calcium gluconate to help or if you have another form of calcium what is it? @DuckyBabies

Raenh and quackiemama like this.
  7. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    She is a little better this morning. Her labored breathing has gotten a little better. I let her take a bath yesterday morning, and I am going to give her one as soon as my kiddos get squared away this morning. She kept me up all night flopping around trying to use her legs. I got up around 3 am and gave her some water through syringe. She was happy about that. I gave her more water a few minutes ago. She also has pooped quite a bit, but it’s very watery. Still no egg this morning. The only form of calcium I have is oyster shells. I may grind them and see if I can mix them with oatmeal so she may actually eat them.

Raenh likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Can you go to the store and get some human calcium citrate or go to a feed store and get some calcium gluconate for cattle? If not, do you have any tums? This are calcium carbonate, but that type of calcium doesn't work as well as they other too, but it would be better that nothing. Regardless of what calcium you can find, it should be given orally, not in the water.

DucksOhio, Raenh and DuckyDonna like this.
  9. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    I do have tums. Would I just crush one or two and give it to her?

Raenh and casportpony like this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

How many mg are they?

Raenh likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: