Sick duck

Plain tashy jane

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2019
Hi all.
I have a muscovy duck who suddenly went "lame" we didnt think she was going to make it through the night. Eyes were crusty and watery and could hardly open them, sprawled out, and could barely lift her head to drink as i hand watered her from a small bowl. Did this during the day moving her around. Day 2, she had gained stregnth in her neck, no change in eyes or movement and legs still tucked up. I kept up the water with her. Then she did a poo and tiny tiny wrigglies were spotted. So immediatly did the worming thing in her water bowl. And wormed the rest of the flock. Day 3 much more alert, had shuffled or dragged herself to the door of the pen. I kept up water still with her and we sepearated her from the flock. Day 4 today, much more alert again. Eyes bright and almost nack to normal, using sounds, trying to ruffle feathers. I picked her up the have a look at her legs, feet looked much better in the way that they sprawled flat for walking. But thats when i noticed a very horrific thing. She had the most disgusting black maggots all under her they were burying into her and i thought they had gone right through her skin. I immediatly put her in a bath. And tried to gently hose them off. They were strong little buggers. Hundreds of them. Bigger than a normal sized maggot. And where they were, her skin was black. We gave her a good drenching in dettol diluted in water just to get the little suckers off her only under her belly. It took about an hour to clean her. They hated the dettol and came off pretty easy afterwards. Ive noticed no opened wounds or blood. Just a lot of feather loss, and black skin where the maggot things were. We have now dried her right off and she is in the laundry in a basket nice and warm. She is picking up since then even. Not eating yet, but independently drinking water and chirping and also getting a bit of attitude back. She is trying the walk but cant yet. I cant feel anything unordinary in her bones and rib cages. Im just really wondering about the black skin its only on one side and only where the things were. I will bath her again tomorrow to get any crawlies which may have hatched and keep this up till she gets better. Just wanting some help on the black skin bit. Feathers are falling out but i can see new ones are coming through. I have sprayed animal anticeptic on that area....she is now a beautiful pink. The whole pen is being racked out tomorrow and im going to lime it or something.
Any suggestions? Im trying so hard for her.

She sounds like she has been having a rough time. Do you think she may have been sick with botulism? Was she limp all over? The maggot infestation is known as flystrike, and it happens in warm weather from flies laying eggs on an injured area or on dropping s on the skin. I would give her some poultry vitamins or human vitamin B complex in her food. Try to make sure that she is eating and drinking well, and give supportive treatment as you are. Here is some reading on botulism and flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/botulism

She sounds like she has been having a rough time. Do you think she may have been sick with botulism? Was she limp all over? The maggot infestation is known as flystrike, and it happens in warm weather from flies laying eggs on an injured area or on dropping s on the skin. I would give her some poultry vitamins or human vitamin B complex in her food. Try to make sure that she is eating and drinking well, and give supportive treatment as you are. Here is some reading on botulism and flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/botulism
Thankyou i have been reading up on flystrike. It just hit her so quick!!! And they are always really clean. But after being lame i think thats when thae crawlies got her. Oh gosh im going to have nightmares.

Thankyou i have been reading up on flystrike. It just hit her so quick!!! And they are always really clean. But after being lame i think thats when thae crawlies got her. Oh gosh im going to have nightmares.
Thankyou for those links. I already read up on the fly blown....definatly that....but the blackened skin where they were has got me baffled.

Mumma duck is doing better each day. Lots of feather loosing though. I will bath her again in the dettol wash after i let her have a good swim in the laundry tup so she can get her head under and clean herself out. She still wont walk and isnt interested in food.

Back
Top Bottom