1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by richejamie, Aug 7, 2013.

1. richejamie

richejamie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    I have five month old female pekin duck. She began laying a month ago perfect eggs. Two weeks ago she started to lay flat sided eggs and then a few soft shell eggs. She now has not layed for a few days, at least I have found any they do free range during the day. I have noticed that her bill is getting pale as well. I started to leave oyster shells out but I am not sure if she is eating them or not. She houses with a few older chickens and lots of two month old chickens. Any advice is welcome because my husband absolutely loves her.

2. hatcherkid777

hatcherkid777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    Have you tried giving her calcium supplements?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What feed are you giving her?

Have you noticed any moldy parts?

Are any other birds showing symptoms?

4. richejamie

Apr 11, 2013
    We are still feeding them grower/ finisher since they all eat together. There is no mold in the food since they go through the pipe feeder full every other day. No other birds are sick. All I have tried is the oyster shells maybe I need to try a supplement. Any recommendations?

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would advise giving some electrolytes. You can purchase them in the baby aisle of most stores. Just make sure you find one without Iron.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I would add Calcium Gluc. Liquid to her water. Issues with eggs can become life threatening.

7. Blackberry Hill

Blackberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Hi --- Your duck isn't sick. She is just deficient in calcium as malformed or soft-shelled eggs are a definite indication of a lack of calcium and possibly other minerals. You need to correct this as it can be FATAL in female birds by leading to egg binding and thus peritonitis.

First, check the ingredient label on your feed. Most commercial diets are formulated around grains fortified with vitamins & minerals. I feed Purina Duck Chow which has enough calcium for male ducks only so I add calcium for the females.

Many will recommend oyster shell. There are three concerns: 1) is the duck eating it? 2) it can contain toxic metals including lead and 3) it is only about 38% calcium. A better source would be eggshells at 94% calcium but they need to be rinsed, sterilized and crumbled. Do you have the time?

The best way to ensure proper nutrition is thru food. Calcium in vegetables is easily absorbed. Everyday you need to feed your duck as much as she wants of one of the following: yogurt, a dark leafy green such as kale, OR dandelion from your yard as long as it is free of lawn chemicals. Also, add black oil sunflower seeds to your daily feed to replace 25 - 30% of it. The calcium content runs about .25% with 16% protein and the 28% fat makes for glossy feathers. It is safe for ALL species including chickens. It will not cause crop binding as the hulls digest. You can read up on black oil sunflower seeds at Feediapedia.org which is an online encyclopedia of animal feeds.

Let me know if you have any questions. And, please think about getting her a duck for company! Take Care!

8. richejamie

Apr 11, 2013
    Thanks for all the info. So she seems to be doing much better. I went out to the coop today and found that she had been burying her eggs in the sand floor of the coop. I found three eggs. One had a slightly flat side and the other two were perfect. I think the oyster shells and the hard boiled eggs with the shells crushed and mixed with fruit really help. Thanks for all the advice. Oh and we do have a friend for her. It is another Pekin about a month younger then her so we don't know yet if it is a boy or a girl.

9. Blackberry Hill

Blackberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the update. Glad she has a duckie friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by