Sick Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckknight, Aug 7, 2014.

1. duckknight

duckknight New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    hi there,
    my ducks are silver appleyard crosses,i have ten of those, and 6 that i just hatched from a friend and i dont know what they are. my appleyards are 11-12 weeks old, and they are the first i have ever had, they used to live with my pig but then we dug them a larger pond and moved them into it about 2 weeks ago, they have just started showing signs of losing feathers around there breast area. Is this normal?

they all came to me for breakfast, (they get fed at regular times and are waiting for me before i get there) but at their afternoon feed they all came bar one, and she sat in the pond and wouldn't get out, i just gave them their last feed and she still didnt come so i fished her out and checked her over, she cant quack, she just sounds like she is wheezing, she wont eat either. she doesnt get distressed either when i hold her, normally they flap around for a second before calming down, but she just watched me. could it be she just swallowed a small stone or something or is it worse, should i check out my other ducks too?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Seperate her from the flock, put her in a coop by herself or in a box in a quiet place and observe whether she still eats and drinks. At this point it is hard to say what her problem is. Have you checked her for injuries? How is her plumage, does she preen?
    How are the others doing? If she does not improve inside the next few days, try to consult a vet.

Losing feathers without replacement is not normal for duck. When in moult, they can look a little scruffy, but usually lost feathers are soon replaced by new. Bare patches are very uncommon. Are you sure that they are not fighting and pulling feathers?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have an infection. Can you get her to a vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by