Sick duckling help?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Backyard novice, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Backyard novice

Backyard novice New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    We got four 6 week old kaki campbells last night, they went into a closed nesting box to keep them away from chickens. Checked on them today and one almost looked dead at first glance. Little ducky refuses to move and can't hold its head up but with help has been drinking quite a bit, but refuses to eat. Need suggestions with how to get it through the night. Currently in the bath tub with a towel and trying to get it to drink hourly

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Hi there! Welcome to BYC! I hope the duckling is okay.

Has the duckling been pooing? What are you feeding the ducklings? Are you adding a source of Niacin? I use brewers yeast (not activated or bread yeast) that I bought from Amazon. I add one tablespoon per cup of food. Niacin is essential for their development.

I'll tag some other members that know more about dealing with sick ducks.

@casportpony
    @Miss Lydia
    @Amiga

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Somehow I missed this one.

Is the little one still with you? If so, then careful syringe feeding may be needed.

@Backyard novice

Could the duckling have eaten something toxic? Food grade activated charcoal in their water can help with toxins.

4. Backyard novice

Backyard novice New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Unfortunately little duckling died at 12am and here it's now 3.50pm. When my sister dropped them off she had mentioned one of them had a very full gullet and they didnt know what it had eaten and wasn't holding its head up properly. Had the poor thing wrapped in a towel in the bath tub and giving it water every hour, but sadly it didn't work.

5. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Very sorry for your loss. Are the other 3 ducklings okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by