Sick duckling or mentally ill *please help!!*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Muse, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Muse

Muse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Brenham, TX
    So we got a baby Mallard from the store yesterday (we already have 2 ducks that are 2 weeks old and are getting pretty big) and he actually jumped out of the box he was being held in and hit the floor. I brushed him off, checked him out and he was fine.

So we took him home and introduced him to Astrid and Dupont our other 2 and they proceed to try to rip his down off of him, I guess because he was another male or because they're territorial, idk which.

I put him in his cage for the night and he tried to jump out ALL NIGHT, and he wouldn't stop chirping because he was alone in there. This morning I noticed him shaking his head and whenever he did, clear droplets would come out of presumably his mouth or nose. I don't know what to do. Does he have something wrong with him or do I need to deepen his water dish or something so he can clear his nostrils?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Deepen the water dish..:)....Hang a mirror and have it so the little one is in a look no touch pen..He can see the other Ducklings, although is safe from them....Wait till it catches up more in size..:)

Best wishes..

Cheers!

3. Muse

Muse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Brenham, TX
    Thank you so much! I did exactly as you said and sure enough Max cleared his nostrils and he's waddling all happy again!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by