Sick duckling!!! Please help. really worried UPDATE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Aug 15, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

My duckling is 1 month old. When i came home today i gave her a bath and noticed she wasnt acting right. I dried her off and set her down. She feel right over and is having trouble standing. She seems really weak and really tired. When i ever i pick her up she just lays right back down and tried to sleep. Cant even walk that much and when she does stand she spreads her legs till she fall down. Also having trouble keeping her had up. I do not know what is wrong or what to do for her. I gave her some surgar water to try and perk her up but its not working. What can i do?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    What are you feeding her?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For now, please tell us

what she eats
    what her day is like
    how much water she gets

If you have vitamins, try giving her some - you might be able to get some into her mouth with a dropper if necessary.

Are there any cuts or abrasions on her anywhere you can see?

Who handles her?

What is her brooder like? Is it possible she's ingested something toxic? If so, some powdered charcoal (not for the grill - you can get charcoal capsules at the drugstore) in her water might help detox. Or just a teaspoon of food grade bentonite in a cup of water, if you have bentonite.

What is her poop like?

Is there anything bloody in the brooder?

4. featherfinder

She is on purina its 18% protien And she is in an inside brooder and had access to food and water all day. I really have no vitamins on me but i can get some if i have to. There are no cuts or abrasions and i am the only one that handles her. My brooder is a plastic kid pool with horse stall pellets and plastic garden fence to keep her in. Poop looks normal. not overly runny. No blood in brooder.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is it Purina chick feed? If so, might it be niacin deficiency? Then you'd give her 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water until she's about ten weeks old.

Sometimes they get infections, and hide being ill until it's pretty far along. How's her breathing?

6. featherfinder

no its regular duck food. She gets a vitamin pack/naicin the the water. 1tsp to 1 gallon water. I already have that covered. Not sure but I did give her sugar water and now she can stand a little and is starting to preen but falls right back over. Breathing is fine but still a little sluggish. Pretty sure she will go right back to how she was as soon as the sugar water wears off. And when ever that happens i want to be prepared to give her what ever i need to.

7. featherfinder

She just threw up [​IMG] Not sure what is going on. she also fell over and just stayed on her back till i picked him up. Im really worried

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just make sure you're using the correct ratio of vitamin powder to water. Mine calls for 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Just a thought. Wish I could sense exactly what's going on with her - hoping some other duck moms and dads weigh in here soon.
    [​IMG]

So, is she just really tired after a big swim?

Sometimes when babies go through a big growth spurt they do poop out really quickly when they get tired. Yesterday I met a three month old puppy who just was such a napper - he's been growing like a weed.

I don't remember which breed your duckling is.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could she have gotten into anything during bath time? Do you have charcoal or bentonite?

10. featherfinder

I put her in the sink and washed her my self. She didnt get into a thing and i have neither of those 2 things. I am making her a little mash right now of peas egg yolk and some crumbles. see if she will eat. not sure what to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by