1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick duckling please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alexarae, Jul 20, 2011.

1. alexarae

alexarae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    today i recieved four baby ducks in the mail. 2 pekin 2 campbell. one pekin seems very weak and it is having a very hard time walking. it wont eat and will not drink very much. it was doing fine this morning but now its seems very ill and my vet cannot see her till friday. please help me save her

2. alexarae

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    please please pleae someone give me some advice on what to do

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Being in the mail is very stressful, and some won't recover. The best you can do is have plenty of water available, but don't force it to drink it. You can mix some food with the water, a teaspoon of yogurt, and a tiny bit of sugar, it needs to be really liquid. Dip the beak in it and make it take one swallow. Wait 3 hours before you repeat it. You can also go to Walmart or similar store and get Polyvisol drops without iron for infants. Give it 2-3 times per day one drop into the mouth. That is really all you can do and hope for the best. Good luck.

4. alexarae

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    thank you so much.
    also do you think i should leave it with the other ducklings or move it to a seperate area?
    good luck with your book:)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If they aren't picking on it, I'd let it stay, it will be just more stressful if you take it from it's mates.

6. alexarae

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    ok thanks

7. alexarae

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    thank you for the help with the sick duckling, sadly she passed this morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by