1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick duckling, please help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TMarie, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TMarie

TMarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    I have an east indie, just got her yesterday afternoon. She seemed healthy, but she had a runny nose. she wouldnt eat or drink but I just assumed she was nervous. Last night her water got spilled while we were asleep n I saw she had been laying on the wet area even tho she had dry area available. She has a heat lamp, food, and water all available but not interested. This morning she is acting weak and still runny nose. I'm keeping her in my hoodie, cuddled to my neck to make sure shes warm and she feels loved.
    I read it could be salmonella! I could cry. I will take any advice, please! I'm really hoping shes ok

2. TMarie

Feb 28, 2013
    I think shes about a wk old

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you have any gro-gel or poultry vitamins?

Do you know how warm it is in the brooder? Too hot and she could be in serious trouble.

Is she the only ducklings? She needs constant companionship.

Until you get vitamins, put a few drops of apple cider vinegar in her water.

What is her food?

They don't always do what's best for themselves. Get some kind of splash catcher set up in the brooder - look at tweetysvoice and 70%cocoa and OldGuy43's setups.

Hold a little cup of lukewarm water in one hand, her in the other, and dip the tip of her bill in the water. Some ducklings need this coaching at first.

4. TMarie

Feb 28, 2013
    I definitely don't think shes too warm. Shes not panting or anything. The setup I have: I took 2boxes and taped them together and cut a doorway between them so if she gets too hot she can go to the other box where her food and water is. Her food is nutrena chick starter.
    She is the only duck. should I be concerned about salmonella? I already love her so much, havent even had her 24hrs. But im worried about salmonella w my son, so I think I'm taking her back to the farm.
    I really want to know for the future though, because we really want a duck. I've had ducks in the past and never had these problems.

5. TMarie

Feb 28, 2013
    thank you so much for your help by the way!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I cannot diagnose long distance, I kind of doubt it was salmonella. Possibly the beginnings of a respiratory infection. Also, water comes out of a duckling's nose normally sometimes after they drink. But you need to be content. I hope the duckling gets good care and a good home.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. TMarie

Feb 28, 2013
    I think your right. The more I read, it doesn't sound like salmonella. we took her to my friend who has a farm and is a pro with ducks. She said she has (i think) probiotics to give her.
    But I still wonder, can healthy ducks carry salmonella? I started wondering if ducks are even healthy to handle after reading webmd. But then my friend said all birds can carry it. So im wondering if the ppl saying ducks aren't safe to handle, are being extremists? I mean, millions of ppl have birds as pets, including ducks. Thank you for all your help!

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, I believe there are at least hundreds of duck caregivers represented here, and I cannot recall anyone with a case of salmonella. Doesn't mean it cannot happen, but with basic hygiene (for kids that means close guidance), I doubt there would be a problem. There are always exceptions, and if someone's immune system doesn't work, goodness, there is so much they ought not to do.

But a standard healthy human being can - from anything I have seen read heard or experienced - handle ducks with no problems.

1 person likes this.
  10. TMarie

Feb 28, 2013
    Amiga, thats exactly how I feel and want to hear lol. Thank you! Then I read links like this: http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/salmonellosis.htm

But over all, I'm wondering if ducks are considered more high risk, just bc they cant holds their poop. But with a diaper, they would be more sanitary... Lol
    Before I read anything about salmonella, I called a vet that specializes in poultry to ask if there are any diseases that could be passed since I have a lil boy. She said no and to have fun.
    Thanks again for listening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by