Sick duckling with respiratory issues :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iluvsedward, Apr 5, 2018.

1. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    Hi all, this is my little call duckling who hatched in march, almost a month old. Since it hatched its been low energy, and had difficulty breathing through it's nares. I didnt think much of it because it eats and drinks and it didnt seem to get worse so i thought maybe it would pass. Unfortunately it hasnt gotten any better and the duckling is now underweight compared to it's siblings. It scratches at its nares a lot, doesnt seem to wash them in the water like the other ducklings. Doesnt really like water much at all. Sometimes it pants through its mouth and it always seems to be out of breath and its whole body moves when it breathes. Today one of its eyes was a little goopy and i cleared it with a damp paper towel. I have sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics but i dont think that will do anything because i had them on it for a few days awhile ago.

Here is a video. Its dirty looking because it doesnt really like to swim.

ETA: They are on flock raiser crumbles and i supplemented "flush free" niacin and sav a chick for a few days when they hatched in march.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    casportpony likes this.
  2. Mylittlefarmof12

Mylittlefarmof12 Chirping

Jan 16, 2018

3. Mylittlefarmof12

Mylittlefarmof12 Chirping

Jan 16, 2018
    How is it doing. I have one that's a week old and doing the same thing.

CayugaJana likes this.
  4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    What type of water set up do you have? Also, Flush free is not the type of niacin that you want to use. It doesn't process fast enough before it leaves their system.
    @chickens really has call ducks maybe she can offer some advice.

CayugaJana and chickens really like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello...
    I had a little Call Duckling that gasped and had breathing issues from Birth. I sadly Culled him yesterday because he was suffering..Possibly yours has to small of nares or has pneumonia?..Under developed lungs?..
    I'm really not sure?..Enlarged heart?..
    Best wishes....

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Can you take it to a vet? If not, you could try to treat it for a respiratory infection with something like Baytril. To treat it with Baytril you will need to get it's weight and I suggest a kitchen or postal scale. Baytril is a powerful antibiotic and the dose must be calculated carefully.

Oral Baytril
    http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html
    https://ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php
    http://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    Thank you for responding. She is feathering a bit and is a third of the size of her siblings who are almost all feathered out. She continues to eat and drink and grow, though very slowly. Does TSC have baytril? @casportpony

CayugaJana likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

No, you would have to order it, but TSC does sell Tylan 50, so you could try that. Can you buy needles and syringes in MD?

CayugaJana likes this.
  9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    I really dont know, probably. But I feel as though this is a birth defect moreso than an illness, as she is now 2 months old and no change. She seems to be ok, just labored breathing and low energy.

chickens really likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Well I'd give the meds a try, she is hanging on and eating and drinking so she hasn't given up. :hugs

iluvsedward likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: