1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Andromeda24, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Andromeda24

Andromeda24 New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    USA
    I've got a duckling that just hatched yesterday (or the day before, not sure, all of this batch looks basically identical). She is really tired and rather weak. She will drink if I dip her beak in the water but I haven't seen her eat. Her breathing is also a bit labored and sometimes there is a bit of a clicking noise when she breathes. She was fine yesterday but last night we had a storm and a cold front came through. I've been keeping them in a brooder with a heat lamp in our shed and its been fine till now but they were cold this morning so I've moved them inside. I've separated her from the rest (who are all doing fine) but what's wrong with her? And is there anything I can do?

Also here is a picture of my new babies!
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cute ducklings! Your description makes me wonder if she got chilled and developed a respiratory infection. She may just have been a little weaker than the others and less able to cope with the cold, so will need to be kept warm. Some vitamins and electrolytes (like Sav-A-Chick or Poultry Nutri-Drench) could be helpful, too.

This thread seems like it may be applicable: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/346995/call-duckling-clicking-while-breathing. Hope she feels better soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. Andromeda24

Andromeda24 New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    USA
    Thank you, I'll take a look at that thread. Also do you know if you would be able to find those vitamins at Atwoods?

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Atwoods, but a Tractor Supply or Rural King should have those products. Do you have a feed store near you? They may carry it, too.

5. Andromeda24

Andromeda24 New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    USA
    I've got a Tractor Supply near me so I'll try there, thanks.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Keep a close eye on her, be sure not to let her get chilled any more. If it's a respiratory infection, she will likely need antibiotics. A good duck vet is best - and I understand not always workable.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by