1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by splishNsplash, Feb 19, 2017.

1. splishNsplash

splishNsplash New Egg

Jul 9, 2015
    So I bought 5 ducklings a few days ago and one in particular peaked my interest because he was obviously a runt and struggling. Once I brought him home he seemed fine and he still eats and drinks okay but doesn't interact with the other ducklings very well. He has started to have some weird breathing habits. I haven't seen him clear his nose at all but from the looks of it it is clear. Today I just noticed he sits and just breathes weird. The other ducks have started picking on him so I have him with me wrapped in a blanket right now and he seems okay minus the breathing. What could be the problem? I will try and upload a video of him

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    I think a video would help. All that I can think of to do would be to dip his bill gently in water, or clear his nares yourself, but you said that it looked like he was clear, so I'm not sure. Make sure that he continues to eat and drink, and is nice and warm. Sorry I was not of much help!

3. splishNsplash

splishNsplash New Egg

Jul 9, 2015
    I can't figure out how to upload a video. He is still eating and drinking he is just wobbly. His breathing seems a little better today. He is most definitely the runt the other ducks are growing so much faster than he is. Here's a photo of the group today. He is obviously the tiny one ha he is so cute and has such a great personality. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics in the water for a day or two a week.

Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. Then the link for the video can be added to the message by clicking the video icon (to the left of the smiley face in the Reply toolbar on my screen, anyway), and entering - or pasting - the url into the field in that window.

A good duck vet can help - but those can be difficult to find.d

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by