"Sick" Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mmalarchick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. mmalarchick

mmalarchick New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    New Milford, CT
    I work at a feed store and we got ducklings in yesterday. One of them is much smaller so the others were picking on it (not sure male or female). I brought it home. It drinks but I have to put it near the water. Any tips on getting it to eat? I feel like that would help it perk up a lot. It finally opened it's eyes yesterday afternoon so I feel like it's getting a bit better.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Make the feed into a soupy mess.....They like it like that....Easier to swallow.....

Hope it perks up...:)

Cheers!

3. chickens really

Also you can give it a drink of sugar water......:)

4. mmalarchick

mmalarchick New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    New Milford, CT

Perfect! I'll try that!

5. chickens really

Do you have it under a heat source ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. chickens really

Oh also...;)......You should of brought home two...It could possibly be a bit stressed out all alone....Go back to work and get another Baby.....:)

Cheers!

7. chickens really

Don't get sick of me...;)
    Also use your fingers at the food and water..Peep and Quack to the Duckling...It stimulates them and they like that sound....

Quack, quack....Peep, Peep....lol

Cheers!

8. mmalarchick

mmalarchick New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    New Milford, CT

I never would have thought of that! I'll do that. And I did bring home another small one so I didn't have to worry about "Spike" getting picked on by one of the bigger ducklings. All of the rest of the ducklings were totally fine

9. chickens really

Fantastic...:).......Yes, in your best Quack and Peep..They will love you....lol....Your now Momma Duck to them....Enjoy those little poopers....;).......

I am glad your helping them....:)

Cheers!

10. mmalarchick

mmalarchick New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    New Milford, CT

Yeah, my coworkers and I go above and beyond for the chicks and ducklings we get in. I'll keep you posted and let you know how Spike is doing later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by