Sick Duckling

DuckyFeet

Hatching
Mar 18, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this website.

Currently I have a duckling that I've had for about a week. My grandma found it about an hour ago laying on its back, not moving. It's still alive, and we're keeping it warm, but its side effects are common with the botulism disease. It peeps occasionally, its neck is limp and it can hardly raise it, it can barely move, it can drink water but cannot eat. I'm worried to give it more water, seeing as its craw is full of it. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat it? I've looked everywhere, and I'm worried, seeing as how this is the fifth duckling I've had that's been infected by whatever this is. This one seems to be improving, though.

The info from Purina says not to feed ducks and geese medicated food.

The quote I posted above about medicated feed was actually from a veterinarian at Purina, and they said that they do not recommend feeding it to ducklings for legal reasons (the FDA hasn't approved its use in waterfowl, and probably never will considering it costs a lot to get FDA approval and waterfowl in general just normally have no need for it) but it is safe to feed. That goes along with the screenshot you posted, saying they don't recommend it 'because it is not approved' for them, which is true. That said, if you have other options, especially those made with waterfowl in mind like Flock Raiser is, definitely go with that instead :)

Stop okay...I constantly chat with a local University Vet here that is schooled in poultry. Medicated feed is not good for Ducklings of any type of feed...
All vets are "schooled" in many different species of animals. Having any type of hands on experience, however is a totally different thing. MOST of the vets at the one I use will pass me off in a second to the ONE vet who has the hands on experience I am looking for. Sorry but I am going to take Pyxis and Holderread's recommendation.
Sounds like the real issue here is not the food, it's the duckling needing HEAT. He does not need a "friend" if he's not going to make it.

Last edited:
All vets are "schooled" in many different species of animals. Having any type of hands on experience, however is a totally different thing. MOST of the vets at the one I use will pass me off in a second to the ONE vet who has the hands on experience I am looking for. Sorry but I am going to take Pyxis and Holderread's recommendation.
Sounds like the real issue here is not the food, it's the duckling needing HEAT. He does not need a "friend" if he's not going to make it.

:goodpost:x2

My TSC has recently started carrying Purina duck feed. I was happy to see it.

Last edited:
The medicated feed that harmed ducklings is not used in feed any longer. Medicated feed could harm them back when it was medicated with 'sulfa' drugs, which are no longer used in feed today.

That info can also be found in Storey's guide, let me see if I can dig it up.

Regardless, a feed made with ducklings in mind is a better choice anyway, since ducklings need more niacin than is found in chick feed.

Okay, found some of the stuff I was looking for to post. First, this from a veterinarian with Purina:

And this from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, written by Holderread, who tested medicated feed with their ducklings themselves:

It can be very confusing for sure. I am just getting ducklings and bought purina flock raiser, so was just now reading about it to make sure that I can use it. The info from Purina says not to feed ducks and geese medicated food.
I actually have the book you quoted from as well and did read that, but I would error on the safe side and not feed medicated food if that is the general consensus.
Screenshot_20180318-201158.jpg

Well, we bought him at Tractor Supply Co., and the food we're feedong him is Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter.

Okay, thanks! What are you using for a heat source to keep him warm? What is the temperature in the brooder? What kind of bedding are you using?

What type of medication is in the medicated feed? If it's amprolium, it is safe for ducklings to eat but they don't need it. Something made with ducklings in mind would be better, like a flock raiser feed or Purina Meat Bird feed.

X2 from what I have read ducklings should not have medicated feed.

The medicated feed that harmed ducklings is not used in feed any longer. Medicated feed could harm them back when it was medicated with 'sulfa' drugs, which are no longer used in feed today.

That info can also be found in Storey's guide, let me see if I can dig it up.

Regardless, a feed made with ducklings in mind is a better choice anyway, since ducklings need more niacin than is found in chick feed.

Okay, found some of the stuff I was looking for to post. First, this from a veterinarian with Purina:

Hi Kathy –

The issue here is not so much one of safety as it is one of regulations. Amprolium, the medication present in our medicated chick starter, has never been approved by the FDA for use in waterfowl. Therefore, we cannot legally recommend its use for these birds. However, veterinarians have been using it very successfully off-label for years as a coccidiostat for all kinds of birds, including waterfowl.

The fear of medication for waterfowl dates back to the early days of medicated feed, when sulfa drugs were used. Waterfowl typically eat more than chickens do, so when they ate feed medicated at a concentration that was ideal for chickens, they tended to over-imbibe the medication, which was often fatal. Amprolium is not a sulfa drug and does not have that effect.

Start & Grow is formulated to meet the growth needs of baby chicks until they reach 18 weeks of age. We recommend Start & Grow for chicks and Flock Raiser for waterfowl or mixed flocks. If you feel your waterfowl need medication, consult with your vet to determine what would be best for them.

And this from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, written by Holderread, who tested medicated feed with their ducklings themselves:

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! So sorry you're having trouble with your ducklings. :hugs

I agree that the duckling needs more heat ASAP. Can you go to tractor supply and get a heat lamp?

Also agree that the amprolium in the feed is not the problem, but do check the date code on your bag and make sure it's fresh. Tractor Supply and other feed stores have a very bad habit of selling old bags of feed.

Find out where Tractor Supply got the ducklings. I say this because a few people posted that they don't get ducklings from the same hatchery they get chicks from, but instead the buy them from local backyard breeders. If this is the case with your Tractor Supply, I would considers "new duck disease" as a possibility.

https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/Sects/duck/health.cfm
"Riemerella anatipestifer Infection
This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Typical lesions found in dead birds are infected air sacs, membranes covering the heart and liver, and meningitis. Preventive management and vaccination are effective means of control. Penicillin, enrofloxacin and sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in feed) are effective in reducing mortality."

Editd to add greeting and fix typos. :oops:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom